Seeking advice: Golden Akoyas

Hello everyone

I have been a silent lurker of Pearl Guide for a while now and am familiar with a few of the pearl vendors that contribute here as well.

I have just come across some amazing golden Akoya strands and would love your advice if these are non-coloured enhanced pearls. I find the vendor trust worthy and have purchased from them before.

Any feedback would be much appreciated!

I think they look gorgeous. With luster like that, I doubt they're dyed and the matching would tell me they are Japanese akoya and not Vietnamese. Most of the dyed you see are "junk" grade and these strands aren't.

It isn't easy to find fine, natural gold akoya and when you do they are expensive.

I think they look gorgeous. With luster like that, I doubt they're dyed and the matching would tell me they are Japanese akoya and not Vietnamese. Most of the dyed you see are "junk" grade and these strands aren't.

It isn't easy to find fine, natural gold akoya and when you do they are expensive.

Hi Jeremy, I was hoping you would weigh in. Your comments have put my mind at ease re the pearls and the vendor (that has not failed me in the past). Thank you! ☺️ The pearls are expensive so will need to give that aspect some thought.

Another question for the group - Should I be concerned about the longevity of Akoyas? Thanks!

Another question for the group - Should I be concerned about the longevity of Akoyas? Thanks!

That completely depends on the quality and the thickness of the nacre. Low grade akoya won't last but fine grade will. This is especially the case with the blue baroques, but golds are similar to regular rounds in durability. You see a wide range at the shows and can get natural color strands for a little as a hundred dollars. Those sorts of pearls will have durability issues. The luster on the strands in your photo would indicate very good nacre, IMO.

Fine gold akoya are very difficult to find even at the Hong Kong show and you could easily spend a thousand dollars on a nice strand.

That completely depends on the quality and the thickness of the nacre. Low grade akoya won't last but fine grade will. This is especially the case with the blue baroques, but golds are similar to regular rounds in durability. You see a wide range at the shows and can get natural color strands for a little as a hundred dollars. Those sorts of pearls will have durability issues. The luster on the strands in your photo would indicate very good nacre, IMO.

Fine gold akoya are very difficult to find even at the Hong Kong show and you could easily spend a thousand dollars on a nice strand.

Thank you so much for taking the time to answer my question. Really appreciate it!!!

I have a double strand of tiny Vietnamese golden akoyas from Pearl Paradise. Not dyed; lemony golden with strong green overtones, and very beautiful. My other necklace is a triple strand of even tinier Vietnamese akoyas, ombre ranging from white/cream through light yellow and into a deep gold/hint of rose apricot color. Also natural, not dyed, and from a very trusted vendor. So there are natural golden akoyas, but care and caution is very good advice where color is concerned.

Cathy, pleassseeeee post your picture here so I can also ogle your pretties!

Back