security tag question for online retailers

lqz

Hi all, I've been searching for tamper evident labels/tags for small pieces such as earrings but without much luck. Most labels I can find don't seem to fit. What kind of security tags do most online sellers use for earrings? Due to the hygiene reason I want to make sure people don't return earrings that have been worn.

Any advice would be very much appreciated.

That's a tough one. I don't know if there is such a tag. Also, the customer needs to be able to put the earring on to see whether or not it's going to look good on them. The easiest thing to do is the same thing you do with any other jewelry that comes back and that is to clean and sterilize if it is going back into inventory.

Earrings are tricky. They are actually allowed as an exception to the Distance Selling Regulations (law) which stipulates that website sales must be returnable for full refund with no reason required (provide returned in proper condition)That's the law in for all europe.
I've been pondering this one myself, because even though it says this on the website there have been a couple of attempts at return and customers turning quite nasty - even when asked if they would want to be sold a pair which someone else had had in their ears. They didn't want that but who cares, am I supposed to just throw them away - apparently.
I've heard just yesterday that a seller packs earrings in heat sealed bags and will refund if unopened. That seems workable. I had looking into heat sealing viability over the next few days on my list.

hmm..interesting. Please let me know how it goes. Regarding the return policy, I'm aware of the law in Europe. I think as long as the earrings are not worn and they're in the original packaging condition, we're required to give refunds if customers change their mind. I'm pretty sure when we go into a jewellery store, we're clearly told that the earrings are not refundable and most shops won't let you try them on before you buy.

My only concern about putting earrings in a plastic bag is it doesn't give people the opportunity to check the piece properly. I remember I have seen something plastic that goes between the butterfly and the post. The only way you can put the earrings on is to break the plastic bit. But unfortunately it was a long time ago and I don't know what that bit is called.

No, earrings for pierced ears (along with knickers, for example) are an exception to the full refund law (Distance Selling Regulations)

Back