Sea Water Pearls- Not Akoyas?

Pearlfan

First, my compliments to all of you on this forum, I have read it for a while and I have learned so much!

I am based in China and I have noticed that many retailers here use the term sea water pearls. Some of the sea water pearls I have seen definitely look like Akoyas to me. When I ask retailers they say that they are sea water pearls from Guangxi in China, not Japan. Some of them also have "Japanese Akoyas". Having read many postings on this forum I realize that this term is not always accurate but this is how the retailers here use it. I am only talking about what I believe are honest retailers.

My question is: Is there another kind of sea water pearl from China? Not Akoyas, not South Sea and not Tahitians. Retailers always make sure to say South Sea or Tahitian if the pearls are (and dishonest retailers will use it for plastic...) I am not talking about the odd pearl but rather large quantities. Could it be that they do not want to use the term Akoya because they believe Akoyas are only from Japan? Or is there a different kind of sea water pearls from China?

I'd love to hear your ideas on this!

Hi Pearlfan,

I think seawater or saltwater is often used instead of Akoya because of a bias against Akoya pearls which has been obvious to me for sometime now. Just my opinion :) But so many Akoya cultured pearls seem to have so thin a nacre coating and have been left in the sea for so little time that in at least some quarters it seems an insult to call a pearl an Akoya. I realise there are many good Akoya pearls but there are also some very inferior ones sold, especially on eBay. I think this is the reason many people tend to steer clear of the team Akoya.

I am not an expert by any means and hope one of those chimes in here with more help for you. I do realise that Akoya are cultured in both Japan and China but I think most of the public think they are only cultured in Japan.

Nice to meet you. Are you a seller/supplier ? because I am looking for a good Chinese supplier :)

Bodecia

They are just referring to Akoya.
When China started breaking out the the Japanese grip in the early nineties, they called Akoya pearls "sea water" pearls. This was not meant to distinguish them from pearls cultured in Japan, it was simply because the only other pearls known to China at the time were freshwater pearls. Some of the booths at different markets still refer to their Akoya simply as seawater pearls.

By adding "Japanese" to their Akoya, they are doing the same thing all other sellers of "Japanese" Akoya try to do. Confuse the consumer with an outdated, nonsensical description to simply charge more.

I think seawater or saltwater is often used instead of Akoya because of a bias against Akoya pearls which has been obvious to me for sometime now.

This biased against Akoya pearls doesn't really exist except on this forum, among natural pearl collectors and other pearl conessieurs - most retailers, wholesalers and farmers have a biased towards Akoya pearls, even the thin nacre ones.

Back