Sea Shells Used to Clean Up Heavy Metals

How would they wash or dispose of the toxic-laden shells? If they can't do that safely, what's the point?

One step at a time. I am sure that is underway but first they have to tackle the problem at hand before further research can be done. It cannot possibly create a bigger problem since the shells will be disposed of anyway, without cleaning the water. In Japan they use waste for land reclamation. If humans wanted to do it, they would find a way. But many look at short-term profits rather than what is ecologically sustainable.

That's great news, Mikey. Knotty: The point of this is that the process changes diffuse toxins that are free in solution and are available to damage many bio-systems into a solid form that can be sequestered away from the open environment. Originally, these toxic metals were sequestered in more-or-less stable forms in geological formations where they did little if any harm to living organisms. There are methods of sequestration available that should do as well. The article also mentioned that this method countered the acidity in the water. Every little bit helps.

When alive, mollusks filter the water. When they are dead, their shells do the same. They are little unsung heroes of purity. I am certain that the future can retrieve the heavy metals from the shells and reuse them. Meanwhile the toxins are isolated, embraced, even tended by the shell fragments.

I really like the idea of a community based, local way to do things alongside the best new ways. The Mississippi river system at large needs some shell soaking.It just sounds like a great idea! The Japanese might be able to help their pearl lakes, not to mention the Chinese have massive mountains of shell. Simple and elegant sustainable solution.

Back