Scratching/banging pearls

O

operavopera

I notice that when I wear my large 11.5mm pearl rings, they get banged or bumped. Although I know better than to wear them during heavy physical activity, is there anything I can do to protect them? I thought pearls were durable, but my jeweler says that one of mine looks scratched from wear. :/

Hi Opera,

As I mentioned before, pearl rings and bracelets should not be worn to any activities more physically demanding than a cocktail party. Minor scuffs can be buffed out with a sunshine cloth. I have recently seen some South Sea PPBs that were coated in Mary's Glass (a mineral lacquer). Although that is really a deceptive treatment, it does protect the pearl and can be reapplied. My general recommendation is go for solid-nacre cultured pearls rather than PPBs and keep a sunshine cloth in your house.

Zeide

Both Freshwater and bead-nucleated pearls are subject to scratching, etc. I consider pearls a soft gem and they do require more protecting than many other gems. Your best bet is just to be extra careful with what you are doing when you have the ring on. I am the worst when it comes to wearing large rings!

Bump (literally)... I dropped a SS pearl that I bought recently, I was going to get it made into a pendant. I was looking at it closely on the kitchen bench and suddenly it dropped out of my hands, onto the hard benchtop and then onto the hard floor! I don't notice anything wrong with it, it's a baroque shape and an average quality pearl. It sounded like a marble hitting the ground! Has dropping the pearl from such a height as the benchtop onto the hard floor lessened its durability and should I still get it made into a pendant? It's about 14mm. I wanted to get it fully drilled. I'm now worried it might not be durable enough.

Pearls generally don't mind being thumped and bumped or dropped. They can stand that. I often demonstrate that by banging a pearl down on the counter, hard. BUT they will be scratched by sharps. It's a simple matter of the hardness. Pearls are Moh hardness 2.5 or thereabouts (it varies slightly between different types of pearl) which is soft.
So no worries about your new pearl for a pendant Pearlharbour. It will be fine. But why full drill for a pendant? half drilling would be fine with the appropriate finding.

One thing to note, when a pearl has a bead inside, sometimes a drilled pearl can have the bead loosen. I've had that happen: dropped the pearl on the floor, watched it bounce a couple of times, and then can't put a thread (or pin through). I was able to rescue the pearl using a very fine sewing needle to move the inner bead enough to catch the original drill hole. Now I work with pearls on a tray with cloth only...that way less chance of dropping and bouncing off the work surface.

When you have a loose nuke, Jerseypearl it will spin just to be perverse. I don't bother to fiddle around with trying to get the bead/drill hole back into line, I re-drill the nucleus - then make sure I keep the bit in the pearl until I've threaded it (I know this is passing on the problem if ever they need re-stringing but...)

I changed a big South Sea pearl out of my ring because the third time I wore it, I bumped it into something and it had a big divot taken out of it. That said, it has been rare for me to damage or scratch my pearl rings because I am very careful. :)

Sometimes the pearls haven't read the manual and get damaged when they should not, eh Blaire? I changed a Tahitian pearl in a necklace for a regular not long ago. the original pearl looked as though it had been gnawed by a rat. We could not figure out how it had been damaged. Its neighbours were all fine.
Sometimes an inherent flaw hidden under an apparently flawless outer layer?

Pearls generally don't mind being thumped and bumped or dropped. They can stand that. I often demonstrate that by banging a pearl down on the counter, hard. BUT they will be scratched by sharps. It's a simple matter of the hardness. Pearls are Moh hardness 2.5 or thereabouts (it varies slightly between different types of pearl) which is soft.
So no worries about your new pearl for a pendant Pearlharbour. It will be fine. But why full drill for a pendant? half drilling would be fine with the appropriate finding.

Thanks everyone for your replies. I am planning to get the pearl drilled fully lengthways because it is an odd shape which would look better on its side. I just can't decide if I'd rather have it moving around on the chain, or should I get it wire-wrapped in place? Would the chain wear out the pearl internally if the pearl moved around all the time along the chain? The chain is not smooth like wire.

Over a long time I could see some wear occurring along the inside but where the pressure/wear would be greatest would be along the edges of the drill hole.

Some people who make these type pendants put a sort of rivet-like insert to protect the ends. A small, flat rondelle-type bead next to the pearl might also protect the hole's edge.

My main problem with having any pendant / pearl / focal bead in a fixed position is that the necklace shifts during the day and the pendant ends up off-center and has to be readjusted. This doesn't happen when the pearl can move freely on the chain.

Pearls are soft compared to other gems. I avoid wearing pearls in rings or bracelets, as I know I accidently bang my hands into things just walking around a corner. I stick with necklaces, earrings and brooches myself. A ring would be a really special occasion item for me, which means I wouldn't wear it as often as it deserved to be worn.

Over a long time I could see some wear occurring along the inside but where the pressure/wear would be greatest would be along the edges of the drill hole.

Some people who make these type pendants put a sort of rivet-like insert to protect the ends. A small, flat rondelle-type bead next to the pearl might also protect the hole's edge.

My main problem with having any pendant / pearl / focal bead in a fixed position is that the necklace shifts during the day and the pendant ends up off-center and has to be readjusted. This doesn't happen when the pearl can move freely on the chain.

Is there a better or preferred type of chain to allow a pearl to move along it most freely, with least wear to the pearl? I'm considering an oval belcher. The sparkly diamond cut chain didn't appeal to me, nor did the finer ones.

I think putting something on each end of the drill holes would be a good idea, does the rivet-like insert have to go inside the drill hole or does a ring simply get glued around each end?

(replying to Bweaves' post)
At a juried craft show this summer, one vendor of high end jewelry (who had some stunning Tahitian rings) told me that they didn't sell many of the pearl rings-- women were hesitant to buy, saying they were afraid they would damage the pearl. My reply to her was, "Nothing lasts forever."

As I grow older, I am becoming more philosophical about using my nice things, even though it means they receive wear and tear. It's okay if things don't last forever. Who knows what my daughter will or won't want to keep and wear after I'm gone? I don't care to wear most of what belonged to my own mother-- our tastes were so different.

(Replying to pearlharbour's post)
About smoother chains-- I've seen snake chains used but these are less durable, tend to kink.
Wheat chains are very strong and flexible.

How would this Paspaley "Palais" design be achieved, with metal bits poking in at each drill hole or a metal tube the full length of the hole?

image.jpg

I have begun wearing pearl rings and bracelet in the last few years. I truly enjoy being able to see them myself during my day. And, if they wear out, then I have an excuse to replace them.

My daughter is now an adult and has no interest in jewelry. So, no worries on my part about leaving anything for future generations. My pearls are mine to enjoy while I can.

Back