Sakata pearls with pouch and certificate

multichrome

I bought this strand on eBay and received it a couple of days ago. Today’s the first day with sun since then for taking decent photos.

I googled Sakata, and since there’s a real dearth of info, I wanted to add what I’ve learned here. That way when others search they will find out as much as I know, at least.

Anyway, this is an 18” strand of 5mm pearls, Akoyas, I believe. They pass the grit test. I think they have been restrung without French wire—though the certificate dates them as being sold in 1974, the string looks pristine.

Clasp is marked “SILVER”—I suspect it’s 800 silver rather than 925, but I can test later.

I love smaller pearls like this—larger ones lie kind of heavily against my neck and throat. I was sooo pleased at the color and lustre, and also they have a lovely weight in the hand.

I believe there is now a company using the name Sakata that has no relationship to the company that sold these. As far as I can discern, this company was operating during the 1960s and 1970s in Ginza, Tokyo. They may have advertised as an alternative to Mikimoto. In the mid-1970s, when this strand was bought, the yen had sunk hard against the dollar, so it was a favorable time for Americans abroad to purchase Japanese goods. (I know this as a collector of mid-century Seiko watches!)

The strand came with the original silk pouch (also pristine), and the certificate. I’m very pleased with them. After I get more skilled at knotting, I will probably restring them. They need some nice silver-colored French wire to protect the string!

Thank you for looking. I hope that this post will help others coming here to find info on vintage Sakata pearls purchased in Japan. I would love to know anything you could add about the strand—your opinions, more Akoya info, anything. I’m a pearl newb!

Hope all of you have a great day!

Cece

01DB90F7-3E62-47B1-B689-941268F32CE3.jpg

14D1F9B4-AF8B-42A2-AD83-D8513BA58BE2.jpg

82570F95-14BB-4ED7-B1B7-0F1493C66585.jpg

96B0F44D-D066-48EE-A9E3-3FAB9CBB6591.jpg

2EDE59B1-C8E9-4177-8CD7-16814792D96F.jpg

D2021F0B-149A-47E0-BED3-A6C260E2F234.jpg

Congrats on your highly wearable akoyas! Neck shot please? :)

Thank you also for adding to our body of information about this brand. I found a few old threads with Sakata in the title:

[h=1]Sakata Cultured Pearls[/h]
[h=1]Anyone ever heard of Sakata Pearls in Ginza Tokyo?[/h]
[h=1]Sakata Pearls Brooch - what type of pearls are these?[/h]
[h=1][/h][h=1]Sakata Cultured Pearl Sterling Jewelry - Need Value???[/h]

I buy sterling silver gimp from firemountaingems.com; I find it more flexible than the silver toned base metal gimp. It makes nice small loops.
https://www.firemountaingems.com/itemdetails/h202133fd

You will probably want to use an off-white color thread, maybe ivory, when you eventually restring.

Thank you! I’ll take a photo when the sun comes out again and I’m not wearing a Li’l Bub t-shirt, haha! Thank you also for the recommendation of sterling gimp. I want to do well by this strand. I also have some ivory thread from Patricia. I’m totally addicted to the Beader’s Secret colors and love the beautiful sheen of even the neutral shades.

Also thank you for compiling the existing threads about Sakata! I always want to be helpful to vintage lovers and of course to those who want solid information when they purchase or sell something pre-loved.

I have heard the word “wearable” a few times now in the forum and I gather that is a positive term :)

Thanks again for responding. The posters here are so friendly and knowledgeable. I’ve learned so much!

Cece

"Wearable" to me means something that is comfortable, looks good with many outfits, and can be worn just about anywhere without your feeling overdressed or underdressed.

Multichrome,
Thank you for sharing your research and photos of your pretty Sakata pearls. Many thanks for your kind comments on my Serafil thread, too!
Lots of mentors here to coach you through learning to string pearls, plus Pearl Dream's excellent tutorial, Lloyd and Caitlin's helpful videos and more.

Last edited:
Back