Sakata Pearls Brooch - what type of pearls are these?

gwilsond

Came across this brooch today that was sent to me in 1966 or 67 by a US soldier during the Vietnam War. Can anyone tell me what type of pearls they are? I've only noticed a few other "Sakata Pearls" boxes online, and they all have a logo in addition to the lettering, so I wondered if they were real? In my box the satin lining doesn't have a logo, only gold lettering: "SAKATA PEARLS GENUINE CULTURED PEARLS". The back of the brooch is stamped SILVER. Thank you in advance if you can identify. I've attached an image. SakataPearls.jpg

Hello gwilsond, welcome. If you go up to the search bar on the right and type in sakata, your search will yield a few results.

Also, you can check out the name on eBay, and check completed sales. This has been an interesting search, definitely!

They are a bit of an unusual color, but I would think they are akoya pearls, because nothing else that size and cultured was available during the Vietnam war. Akoya pearls were the earliest cultured pearls and they were grown in Japan, so the Sakata box confirms they are Japanese.

I think that color is natural- it is so subtle and lovely.

Back