Real akoya pearls?

PineapplePie

Hi there,

I recently bought my first strand of akoya pearl necklace at Costco, it's 6.5-7.0 mm and 18 inch for $699 CAD (approx. 523 USD) before tax. The touch feels right to me, however, unlike my fwp and tahitians, it feels extremely smooth/slippery instead of grainy (if you get what I mean) when I rub them against each other. So I'd like to know if they are fake, treated (polished?) or real akoyas?

ps. It comes with a certificate from Pelagrina Gemlogists, not sure if this matters

Edit: specs added

Thanks in advance for your help! IMG_0141.jpgHi everyoneIMG_0144.jpg

Last edited:
There don't seem to be any overtones. Usually you would see some variation in overtones with real pearls. The fact that they are not gritty adds to the concern.

Did you buy these from a reliable source at a price that is typical of akoya pearls? If it seems too good to be true....

There don't seem to be any overtones. Usually you would see some variation in overtones with real pearls. The fact that they are not gritty adds to the concern.

Did you buy these from a reliable source at a price that is typical of akoya pearls? If it seems too good to be true....

Hi Pearl Dreams,
Thanks for the reply! I bought this from Costco for $699 cad (about $523 usd) before tax. It's 6.5-7.0 mm. And I do see some really light blemishes, but I have to look at it very closely in order to do so

Then they are probably real akoyas; Costco is pretty reliable. I don't know what treatments they may have received, but bottom line, if you don't love them, return them and find something that you actually love!

I find that Akoya do feel more slippery -- the nacre on Akoya tends to be shiny and crisp, as opposed to the softer glow of South Sea pearls. Different oysters, colder waters.

I've never had success doing the rub two pearls together test or the tooth test. I find I can tell if they're real better by looking at them. And that's not helpful because it requires experience.

From the photos they look like real akoyas to me. Not top of the line akoyas, but real cultured pearls.

I bought 8mm pearl earrings from Costco years ago that came with an appraisal from a GIA gemologist. Doesn't specifiy whether or not they are Akoya; just cultured pearl studs in 14kt gold, but they are very round in appearance and feel. They have been worn mercilessly and still look wonderful with a nice luster and unblemished surface. I agree with Pearl Dreams; Costco is reliable.

Pineapple Pie, yes, I also agree you got Akoya pearls! It's usually difficult to see overtones especially in white pearls. Your pearls seem to have high luster and are very well matched! I don't think you have to worry, just wear them and enjoy the compliments!

Back