Questions about vintage brooch on offer

multichrome

I spotted this brooch for sale, and I’m wondering VERY much what type of pearls they are. The setting is clearly antique, and it’s marked 14K. Seller lists it as “Victorian.” The pearls are very baroque-looking. If they’re the original pearls in the setting, then is it possible that they’re natural, i.e., not cultured pearls? I think it’s a beautiful, simple, design. The seller is in the USA.

The pics are from the seller, so I don’t have any photographed against a white background. I’d love to know what you think. I love learning more about pearls. This piece would have set off my vintage “spider sense” anyway, but the pearls make it extra intriguing.

Thanks for looking, and I hope you all have a good Monday and stay safe.

(Also if these pics are too blurry, please let me know and I’ll try to grab higher-res ones.)

Cece

3AB98874-391B-41D5-BCDD-9861E42E20D2.jpg

26DA4F71-79CF-4F92-BB44-C1B755E92C5F.jpg

978985D6-E453-4E5B-BAF7-4A4A17B3B711.jpg

A7740D7A-A1B5-4338-AC0E-49E82625FEFF.jpg

Good morning Multichrome!
These definitively look like natural pearls to me!
You would need to make sure with a qualified expert that will inspect your pearls, but just with the photos I see the trademark of naturals...it could be a mixed lot too! (naturals and cultured)

Bumping this thread to see if anyone else has ideas :) I did not buy them but I’m thinking about it. And I do want to know if they may be natural pearls. I’m trying to train my eye to see them! So many of you have seen lots of pearls and can tell so much from looking. I appreciate your time! Thank you, CortezPearls, for your remarks!

—Cece

Last edited:
I should have thanked Douglas earlier! And thank you, Pattye! It’s hard to see how exactly the pearls are mounted; I couldn’t tell, either. I’ve purchased vintage jewelry from the seller before and they are very friendly. I’m sure they’d send me another pic, and consider a reasonable offer. I’ll keep you posted. Thank you both again for your time! Please stay safe and well.

—Cece

I forgot to mention that it’s a petite brooch, about 1” wide and 1 1/8” tall. The photos I posted didn’t really give a clue to its small size. Thank you again!

I forgot to mention that it’s a petite brooch, about 1” wide and 1 1/8” tall. The photos I posted didn’t really give a clue to its small size. Thank you again!
Please let us know your final findings!
I think they are mounted on tiny posts...if they are natural you would not want any falling off! (not that you would cultured pearls falling either)

The markings are 14P, P standing for plumb, meaning the piece is at least 14 karat gold. Seeing how tiny the broach is, those will be seed pearls, which I believe are natural. I don't have any reason to think the gold is fake, but it is always good to get your gold tested. I purchased some earrings and they were marked 14K and they failed my acid test, so I test everything now.

Just thinking out loud~

Don’t they look like American freshwater river pearls? I’m knocking my head for the correct name, help!
At first, I thought Scottish for the simplicity, but the 14P threw me, and I’m no pro, just throwing out a guess. But enlarging the photos 3 and 4 takes me back to American.

Horse racing / derby enthusiasts? embarrassed to be even guessing, but Tennessee and Kentucky, American racing and bright white American pearls?

Last edited:
I didn’t make an offer on the pin after all. Magnified the pearls really do look like river pearls. However, the scale of the actual item wasn’t really represented by the photos. Thank you to everyone who looked, advised, and commented!

The appearance of this piece supports the supposition that the pearls are natural. I have a few dainty natural pearl pins and I have given the starburst type as gifts because the pearls are set more deeply and less likely to be dislodged. I wear this type of pin up high on my collar tips, upper lapels, or pinned to a cap or hat brim because it is very easy to knock pearls off, or even wrench the whole thing off removing a coat.

Good point there GemGeek! Really points to the natural origin of the pearls...would LOVE to know the story of this brooch.

Back