Question on Clasps

amti

In my attempt to restring pearls, I realized I don't really like the clasp on the pearls now, and would like to change it. However, I don't have any experience with toggle or cage clasps. Can you give me your opinions on them? The pearls are standard sized akoyas 6.5-7mm and about 40" long. I usually wear them knotted in front, but I'd like to be able to use them in more than one way. I'm trying to find something pretty that is easier to work with than my fish hook clasp that is currently on it.

Toggle Clasps: I like the different designs they come in and the ease of use, but will they work for longer lengths on smaller pearls? I usually see them on 18" necklaces or chunky bracelets. Are they secure- I worry they might come undone easily. Is there anything I should look for when purchasing one to ensure it won't come undone easily?

Cage Clasps: I have seen 10mm sizes- will that size scratch my smaller pearls (the ones around the one being clasped)? Are they secure? Does the other end (without the clasp) just dangle with no metal- if so, do people usually add a drop?

Any other clasps that might work for my pearls? Thanks!

I used to put toggle clasps on all my necklaces when I first started beading, but I found they tickled my neck! They are secure as long as they are not worn in front / center as a focal piece (where a pendant would be) because it's the weight of the necklace that maintains tension on the clasp. So if there is no weight on them, there is no tension.
I still like them for bracelets.

I've never used a cage clasp so cannot comment.

Some people like the interlocking ovals that PP carries ("orbit clasp" is what they call it.) Bella Findings has some like that, and Rio Grande.

I happen to like the ball safety clasps that PP uses. Some people find them hard to use, however.

Last edited:
Thanks PDs! I have heard good things about the orbit clasp! I have a couple of ball clasps and find them hard to use, so I'll shy away from them. They are pretty though. I also saw some S clasps too that look pretty and easy to use. You got my ideas flowing again~ thank you!

I have to respectfully disagree Pearl Dreams...I LOVE a toggle worn in front with an enhancer. I also wear this one without an enhancer, with the clasp off to the side. IMG_0468.jpg

JerseyPearl, that works because you have that (very pretty) heart hanging down in front, helping to keep the clasp closed.

Amti, I am also a huge fan of the "Orbit" style clasp. Incredibly easy to use, you can connect more than one to make ropes ... I even have a small one on my delicate gold chain/Sea of Cortez necklace from Kojima. PP has one, Rio Grande and others have a few other sizes. Depending on clasp and pearl size, sometimes you can create lariat effects and even hang a pendant off the end, although not really designed for it :)

PearlDreams, that piece sits very nicely without an enhancer as well since the toggle is well balanced. I often wear toggles to the side rather than in the front or back (where they cannot be seen) and they are always fine. Same principle applies with toggle bracelets. It has more to do with the balance of the clasp than the overall weight of the piece, when properly sized.

Amti, I am also a huge fan of the "Orbit" style clasp. Incredibly easy to use, you can connect more than one to make ropes ... I even have a small one on my delicate gold chain/Sea of Cortez necklace from Kojima. PP has one, Rio Grande and others have a few other sizes. Depending on clasp and pearl size, sometimes you can create lariat effects and even hang a pendant off the end, although not really designed for it :)
Cathy, I LOVE that look with the orbits.

As for cage clasps, it depends on how well made they are. If the hinges don't open fully and you're using them on akoya pearls, there is a risk of scratching them. If you plan to use them lariat style, then you only need one cage clasp, but if you want versatility, you'll need two, like the way I did here.

I want pictures Cyndayco!!! <pout> :p

I didn't think of the opening on the cage clasp scratching. Wish I could find someone local who carries a variety of clasps so I could try them out. Cathy, the lasso is the reason I was looking into the cage clasp. I didn't realize you could achieve that look with an orbit clasp, although, come to think of it, I may have seen a photo where someone had one and mentioned she was going to have to get two clip ends (is that right?) to make it look right. I would prefer something a little more decorative than the orbit, but it might work. It may have to be a smaller sized one then the ones I've seen since my akoyas aren't that big. I'll do some digging. I do love the possibility of hanging a pendant from the clasp too, although with a longer strand, I don't know if that would actually happen unless it is doubled.

Jersey Pearl- I've admired your necklace, clasp and enhancer from a previous post. Such a striking set! Is there a way to know if something is balanced properly without trial and error (before I sew 40" of pearls)? Do you think the toggle will work with a longer necklace?

Thanks everyone! :)

Last edited:
Jersey Pearl, if I remember correctly, that isn't just any old toggle, that is Judith Ripka, lol. She does, or did, amazing designs, well engineered, beautiful from every angle.

Toggles in general are quite secure, I feel. The designers/manufactorers seem to have gotten the proportions of bar/inner diameter figured out. I do tend to choose ones with ball ends on the bar when possible, or bow shape. The longer the bar, the more secure, but the end of the necklace has to pull far enough into the hole to allow the bar to turn and lay flat. (Gee, how do I know that? Trial and at least 3 errors.)
And that is why there is often a chain on the bar piece, but not always.

No experience with cage clasps, though a couple of sterling ones are in my stash. Would be concerned with scratching, as others have said.

Decorative spring ring clasps with end caps with tie bars are available, too.

Check out Bella Findings, Rio Grande to see the variety. Your choice of metal and budget will make a difference, too.

I agree, the orbit clasp is an secure choice, if one likes the style. I just received one in sterling try out.

A good question, but no simple answer, Amti.

I want pictures Cyndayco!!! <pout> :p

I didn't think of the opening on the cage clasp scratching. Wish I could find someone local who carries a variety of clasps so I could try them out. Cathy, the lasso is the reason I was looking into the cage clasp. I didn't realize you could achieve that look with an orbit clasp, although, come to think of it, I may have seen a photo where someone had one and mentioned she was going to have to get two clip ends (is that right?) to make it look right. I would prefer something a little more decorative than the orbit, but it might work. It may have to be a smaller sized one then the ones I've seen since my akoyas aren't that big. I'll do some digging. I do love the possibility of hanging a pendant from the clasp too, although with a longer strand, I don't know if that would actually happen unless it is doubled.

Jersey Pearl- I've admired your necklace, clasp and enhancer from a previous post. Such a striking set! Is there a way to know if something is balanced properly without trial and error (before I sew 40" of pearls)? Do you think the toggle will work with a longer necklace?

Thanks everyone! :)

I have my tahitian rope on a toggle clasp...I have no problems wearing it doubled up, clasp in front. Or as a long rope clasp on the side. Some toggles are easier to work than others...I find a wider bar makes for a better balance...but too heavy, and the bar can dangle down from the weight. I really like this one: http://www.stuller.com/products/2307/?groupId=14803

Thank you cyndayco... I didn't see the link. But wow, I never thought to put on two cage clasps! What a neat idea! And the other pearl necklace... it looks like it was made for royalty! Are you?!?!?

JP, thanks for your input! I've been looking at pages and pages of clasps the past few days and so many are toggles. Your approval just makes my decision that much harder. ;)

Last edited:
And the other pearl necklace... it looks like it was made for royalty! Are you?!?!?

:eek:

I don't know how long I'll be able to pull off that look though. Akoyas scratch so easily.

Back