Question about trade shows

KatiePearl

Hi everyone! I am new to the forum (but have been a lurker for a while). My hubby recently got me a natural white Hanadama necklace from PP (I decided I finally needed a nice pearl necklace!). It's absolutely gorgeous and I am learning a lot about pearls on this website! I am also becoming slightly addicted (found Kojima Pearl too...).

I have a question about bead shows, pearl shows, etc. Are the good ones ever open to the public? I used to live in San Diego and went to the Gem Faire one year (overwhelming!!) and can't remember if there were pearls there... probably... I wasn't really looking for them. So I know that one is open to the public. I can find bead shows that are open to the public, but I am having a hard time finding out if they will have pearls (I would assume yes, but we all know about those who ass-u-me...). I just want to become more knowledgeable about pearls by being able to see, touch, and feel them.

Just curious! If they are all mostly wholesale shows that require a business license for entry then I will sit on the forum and drool over all of the great pictures all of you post!

Oh, I live in Hell (aka Pensacola, FL), so I am fully aware that I will have to travel to find anything worthwhile :-D Still wish I lived in San Dawg so I could visit PP in LA and touch and feel there! I always find out about the good stuff too late... grrr!

I have lots of other questions, but I'll try not to post them all in one rambling post...

Thanks!

Wow! KatiePearl, you started at the top! Welcome!

Perhaps I can help a bit in general although I am on the west coast. Virtually all the shows will have a website and a vendor list--you can sometimes tell by the names if they sell pearls. From the website you may also be able to tell how they deal with wholesale, for example, Gem Faire is open Friday am to wholesale only, but the afternoon and rest of the weekend is for everyone. Each vendor may vary whether they offer one price for all buyers, or discount for wholesale or large purchases. Bead shows in my area will generally have some pearl dealers also. I've never known of a "pearls only" show.

Is the upcoming Pensacola Gem Jewelry and Bead Show just for wholesale? I can't tell from the web info.

Hopefully some of our Florida members will be able to chime in here with lots more info---------

Thanks! That helps a lot. I found the P-cola show... I am going to call and ask if it's wholesale. I don't think so, but who knows.

That helps to know there aren't "pearls only" shows. I'll keep my eyes peeled for all gem shows. I did see that some parts of the Tucson show are open to the public... hmmm... maybe a February trip is in my future...

I really like seeing all of the unique pearls that people find at the shows and then how they choose to set them.

Yeah, I figured if I was gonna jump into pearls, might as well go all the way! :) The little freshwaters my mom gave me for college graduation 11 yrs ago just weren't cutting it. All of the info in these forums was SO helpful in making my decision. It was a bit overwhelming when I first started looking.

Welcome to the forum. I hope the gem show will have lots of pearls. Enjoy! ;)

the other thing you will be able to put in place from going to a couple of shows is to find online suppliers whose descriptions match their goods reasonably closely, then you know it is okay to buy from their websites.

the other thing you will be able to put in place from going to a couple of shows is to find online suppliers whose descriptions match their goods reasonably closely, then you know it is okay to buy from their websites.

Pearlescence has a great point. ;) Also, you can get an idea of how much findings (clasps, jump rings) cost. Metals have gone up and you might be shocked at their cost. Of course, you can start with plated base metal and upgrade later.

Thanks for all of the help! I am not expecting too much from the P-cola show other than to gain some more knowledge.

I've dabbled in all sorts of things and silver clay jewelry was one of them (yup- bought the crazy kiln that now sits in the corner...). Since I am kind of a jewelry snob, I only wanted sterling silver findings. You are right, GemGeek- the nice ones are pricey! Luckily, if I find the perfect strand of some kind of funky pearl, I have some stuff left over from my previously abandoned jewelry-making hobby. :D

Back