Question about thread length

Bailey1856

How much extra length do I need if i were to knot an 18" strand using powerpro? I had to reknot a necklace again because i understimated how much i needed:eek: darn and i was almost finished.

Figure 5x your finished length (assuming the thread is going to be doubled) and you should be okay. That is a general rule. If one is knotting a great many tiny pearls I might add more since it's the knots that eat up the length.

So, for 18", 90 inches of thread.

I've been doing the 5x rule for the thread...it has always left me with ample room to move the needle around a bit, so I don't develop a weak spot from the same thread point going through each pearl. Katbran, I've been using my dining room table to string my pearls...I lay out the thread and try to keep it straight on the tabletop. If I let the thread dangle down below me (say sitting and let it drop to the floor), it invariably becomes twisted and tangled. It takes a little bit more time to keep the thread laying flat across the table, but it makes it so much easier not to deal with tangles.

JerseyP, I have that problem too but I will try your table top method from now on. Thanks for the tip.

Katbran, i have that same problem with my terriers (one large, one small). i have to use the tabletop method for anything other than near-completed strands. i need the Comfy Chair for wrestling with the final knots.

The table top is the best idea - I usually do knotting while the TV is on and the thread is all over the GIGANTIC square leather ottoman..but it only takes one Schnauzer to walk by wagging his tail to throw everything into one tangled mess. :D

:D Hey , i have a schnauzer too! That's what mine does too. She always has to be the centre of attention. If she can jump on the table she would to say "hey, i'm here, look at me, look at me." LOL

Back