Problem with tiny stones in necklaces

Katbran

I'm not sure how to solve this problem... but when I have used 4mm or smaller stones, faceted, heshi, roundels, rounds..doesn't matter... they seem to catch the hair at the back of my neck. I had a customer (fortunately a friend) who told me that a Spinel necklace I'd made for her was driving her crazy pulling her hair. I'm assuming it's because they are on a wire or string and not knotted... anyone have a solution for this issue.( Bead spacers at the back maybe...??.. the tiny clear plasticy/rubber/silicon ones) Any and all suggestions welcome !

Are you using crimps? Sometimes I find the edges of flattened tornado crimps can be scratchy on the skin of the back of my neck. I have to flatten them "just right" to avoid that. Perhaps crimps could be catching her hair (mine is too short to get caught.)

The problem is usually the wire products, thread would help as it does not roll on the neck like the wire products.

I think you would still have an issue because what ever you put at the back if wire was used, it's the nature of the beast.

One last thing gimp, French wire can also contribute to the issue as well, There are different qualities out there.

Katbran,

Oh what a frustrating situation to have.

Yes, I've used quite a bit of gemstone beads on designer wire, and when any kind of beads sit next to each other with no knot between there can be an issue of longer hair catching between the beads. I feel fine, curly hair is more likely to catch also. Knotting between eliminates that issue, almost entirely. One client with very fine curly hair even told me she could only wear snake chains, as her hair tangled badly in most other types of chains.

Agree with Bernadette, some French wire can be scratchy and catch hair too. And Pearl Dreams, sounds like we've had the same issues with the tornedo crimps, though I find they hold well. I have found some crimp covers in 5mm which will usually cover the crimp.

Wearing my own creations quickly made me aware of the advantages of knotting necklace whenever possible.

Crimp covers, Pattye-- what a great idea! Thanks!

Are the 5mm ones large enough to cover the tornado crimps?

Thanks, I hadnt considered the tornado crimps though I have been a bit concerned on a couple of bracelets and so did away with them...was afraid they might snag silk with a little sharp edge. I might lose the fine wire..and switch to heavy Power Pro which I suppose would be less likely to fray from the tiny stone beads. Unless you smooth the bead holes...on all those little devils. .. Good suggestions ladies... thanks very much !

Back