Please help! Damage pearl surfaces!!

jannellehhh

Hi everyone,

This is my first post on the forums.
Does anybody know what happened to my pearls? They are all stored in a jewellery box (pic.3) Don't know what happened? Am I still able to clean them? Thank you so much.

17821681213782_.pic_hd.jpg
17831681213792_.pic_hd.jpg
18441681527865_.pic.jpg

Have you tried washing them - lather up your hands with gentle soap then add the pearls and rub your palms together. Rinse thoroughly (put the plug in the sink btw before you start)
Do you have any idea what has affected them? Is there any sign of anything on the fabric? Any funny smells?

I've seen this happen when pearls are stored right after they have been set unto a jewelry setting. The vapors from the cyanoacrilate glue just come out from the setting and "cover" the pearl. I don't know if this is the case...but it seems to me this is the issue.
Try cleaning the pearls with a soft cloth, microfiber and water.

I've seen this happen when pearls are stored right after they have been set unto a jewelry setting. The vapors from the cyanoacrilate glue just come out from the setting and "cover" the pearl. I don't know if this is the case...but it seems to me this is the issue.
Try cleaning the pearls with a soft cloth, microfiber and water.
I've seen that too. It can happen if a pearl piece is shipped right after setting before it's had time to cure. But I've only seen it happen right after the pearl has been set, not during storage.

How long have you been using the leather storage box? Has it ever caused any problems before? Leather, especially dyed leather like the gray of your storage box, is treated with chemicals to hold the new color. Do you see the purple-ish stain under the fireball pearl? It's almost like the storage box was exposed to extreme heat or cold, so perhaps it was a chemical reaction from the leather to the pearl? What does the silver pearl that looks like it hasn't been moved yet (earring dangle to huggie lever back), take a look at the underside? If the sides that were touching the leather are the only sides affected, perhaps the box is the issue...

Last edited:
How disappointing. Looks like your pearls highlight the importance of storing them in very neutral fabrics/materials. I had streaking like that when I stored a pair of silver candlesticks in saran wrap. Couldn’t polish it off at all. I recently changed all my pearl storage to cotton/muslin bags. They were in colorful silk pouches and I knew if there was any moisture, the color would stain the pearls.

I've seen that too. It can happen if a pearl piece is shipped right after setting before it's had time to cure. But I've only seen it happen right after the pearl has been set, not during storage.
Exactly! Only after being stored and having just been freshly set! But it looks remarkeably similar to me.

How long have you been using the leather storage box? Has it ever caused any problems before? Leather, especially dyed leather like the gray of your storage box, is treated with chemicals to hold the new color. Do you see the purple-ish stain under the fireball pearl? It's almost like the storage box was exposed to extreme heat or cold, so perhaps it was a chemical reaction from the leather to the pearl? What does the silver pearl that looks like it hasn't been moved yet (earring dangle to huggie lever back), take a look at the underside? If the sides that were touching the leather are the only sides affected, perhaps the box is the issue...
You're right @MotherOfPearlTrumpet : many leather items are treated with harsh chemicals...does your storage bag smell strong to you? Could be putting off some fumes.

From Wikipedia:
Leather produces some environmental impact, most notably due to:

I think this is chemical damage too. Perhaps a combination of chemical and humidity damage.

Leather is extremely porous, containing microscopic holes which absorb moisture from the surrounding air, likewise passing moisture to other items during higher humidity.

Instead of whiteness from reversion to calcite by dryness and light, the protein component appears rancid (for lack of a better term) by appearing quite oxidized by moisture or chemicals.

Back