Picking jewelers and half vs fully drilled pearls?

jiazzi

This is a very newbie question but I've been exploring more of the loose pearls lately. I know nothing about jewelry making but I've read how some of you have jewelers that you go to for the finishing touches to loose pearls...How do you pick?

Would I be able to go to a place like Kay Jewelers and ask them to put lever-backs onto a pair of loose pearls? Or is this something so easy that I can do this myself with the right tools?

Then there is this burning question of buying a half drilled pearl. I suspect that this is for studs and pendants and there is maybe glue involved? If that's the case, do you need a professional jeweler (i.e. Kay Jewelers?)?

Hi jiazzi,

Definitely glue involved with a half drilled pearl. Also making sure the finding fits the size of the drill hole.

I don't know anything about Kay Jewelers. Personally, I would prefer someone who knows lots about pearls, and does everything on site---like many of our forum members. Some jewelry stores even send out their work, so one pays a premium. Have you asked Kay Jewelers what something like that would cost?

If you are thinking freshwater, on basic items, the pearls are the least expensive part, compared to gold findings, etc. Say, leverback earrings, basic pendants, etc.

(As a lowly beader myself, I am still enjoying working with fully drilled pearls.) I am dangerous around water, fire, glue-----------;)

Are you thinking SS or Tahitian???

Just my opinion, of course

Hi Pattye,

I used Kay Jewelers as an example b/c that's how much I know about findings and customizing findings to loose pearls. :p

Personally, I would prefer someone who knows lots about pearls, and does everything on site---like many of our forum members.

Me too! So...if I were to purchase loose pearls from the original pearl site, is it typical/customary/usual to ask them to set them w/ findings?

I am particularly interested in Tahitian drops and having gold lever-backs on them. Or... If I wanted to get 5 loose Tahitians to make a tin cup necklace, is it typical to ask the original seller or should I come to this forum?

Thank you for answering my very basic questions! :eek:

A quick word about mall jewelry stores...
I worked in HR for a few years at a local bank. As part of the hiring process you had to be bonded, which means we took your fingerprints and sent them out to verify that you were not convicted of anything that would prevent your being insured. We held a job fair in the local mall and one of the jewelry store employees came in to fill out an application but when we asked if he'd been convicted of a crime he said yes. It was involving theft.
Use this information as you see fit.

Hi
You can commission a piece to ensure you get what you want, if you don't have the skills yourself.
You don't say where you are, so that a maker can step forward

Oops. I'm in Chicago, IL in the US. I wish I had a set of pearls to commission but at the moment I don't. I'm wondering for future reference.

---
Nevermind. I just bought some beautiful fully drilled pearls...I'm thinking of a tincup necklace... :)

Last edited:
Back