Pearls on leather

KarinK

I looked up a name dropped by eolian pearls in the Pearls in Action thread, https://www.terremerlove.com/designs
Oh wow! I also saw some prices at some dealers website. No way. But there are so many ideas for own designs to be had from this it makes me want to ask if there are any leads for leather strips to use with Tahitian (or other) pearls?

- Karin

Great question Karin! I am with you wondering about the kangaroo leather, the leather I use is OK for basic floating pearl pieces but nothing more sophisticated. I have been searching online but havent really found anything useful, maybe some members here will know more.

I used to love kangaroo leather (I'm Vegan now, so I don't use any leather) because it would be more "sweat resistant" and down here (with temps reaching 120 F and humidity of a 100%) that is a MUST.
I got my leather strips and articles at the Tucson Gem Show.

Oh, this is funny...I was thinking of asking the same question, KarinK. Eolian pearls, I've been lusting after your 5 pearl leather necklace, and thought maybe I could make something similar. I was even eyeing potential pearls from CMW for the necklace this morning.

I wonder if the leather cord from Rio Grande or Bella Findings might be a step above the quality sold in craft stores. Perhaps other beaders know?

Which would work better with pearls: flat or round cord?

Douglas...or others... do you know off-hand where one might find good synthetic substitutes for leather cord?

BTW, the leather/pearl jewelry on the Terre Mer Love website is lovely, and the photos on their blog are superb.

I always had problems securing a good source of high-quality leather substitutes. Most did not meet my quality standards :(
One that I loved was natural rubber (vulcanized), so it was black and looked really attractive, but since it was made in small amounts it was difficult to source.
I liked the round material rather than the flat, but it's of personal preference I believe.

TriciaS my leather necklace is happy to be an inspiration :) It is actually made of pearls I collected over 5 years ranging from 8mm to 10,5mm; from Druzy, Wen and Jac of Pearl House. I am sure you can get the same effect with the lovely CMW pearls.

I have renewed my search for kangaroo leather and found this shop on Etsy, it has good reviews and the owner says he supplies the makers of StBarth pearls...they have some great designs as well...

https://www.etsy.com/listing/8049552...search_3&crt=1

Highly, highly recommend Leatheroolace and Pete! I've used their "roo leather for years, both flat and round. Apologies for not being around much lately ~ missing you all!

I have used ULTRASUEDE (brand), an imitation suede cord, too. It is satisfactory for pieces that won't be worn every day or have hard use.

Inspirational designs for sure at TerreMerLove!

Last edited:
Thank you, Pattye and eolian pearls for the information...so helpful!

Eolian pearl (or anyone else), do you know if the Pearl House is still around? I've tried a Google search and a search on Etsy but haven't been able to find it.

Also, how does one order from Cees? Just email him at the address at Amsterdam Pearls?

Thanks for answering these newbie questions.

Eolian pearl (or anyone else), do you know if the Pearl House is still around? I've tried a Google search and a search on Etsy but haven't been able to find it.

Also, how does one order from Cees? Just email him at the address at Amsterdam Pearls?

Jac has temporarily closed his Etsy shop ( I hope he will return soon, the last time he closed it was for 3 years) but you can find him on Instagram and can probably buy some lots from him, unfortunately no idividual pearls, I managed to buy a lot of lovely pastels from him while he was closed on Etsy.

Cees is also on IG or he has a website Amsterdam Pearls where you can contact him, he is very fast in communication. He will definitely find you some amazing pearls which I hope you’ll share here :)

You can also reach Cees through his Instagram account. It turned out to be a little expensive to follow him because the pearls look sooo good, are already in the EU, and you can buy with a few messages and a snap of your fingers. I should have known better than to ask him if he happened to have any natural Akoya that weren't Hanadama...

Pattye, I'll check them out! Haven't seen round. I would love some leather bracelets with the button closure. Jeg gotta think my way through how they are made. Looks like the leather is thinner in all ways than the usual 3 mm.

I have bought some pearls from Cees while communicating with him trough messenger on Facebook.

I have an update on the kangaroo leather from the leatheroolace shop on Etsy. First of all the owner, Pete has been most helpful and generous with samples. I have remade my necklace and bracelets with his leather cord and have been using them (while swimming) for the last month or so. I see a big difference already, last year after a similar trial period I had to remake my bracelet as the leather was too worn out (doing long swims about 1-2 hours daily). I only used the roo leather in my simple designs but after the summer season I would like to try some more complicated ones. Definitely the best quality I have found so far.
A2C1A863-1DA7-4D6B-BE11-D09A2E57176B.jpeg

Attachments

• A2C1A863-1DA7-4D6B-BE11-D09A2E57176B.jpeg
    A2C1A863-1DA7-4D6B-BE11-D09A2E57176B.jpeg
    54.3 KB · Views: 53
Thank you for the update, eolian pearls. And thank you for another photo of my favorite pearls on leather necklace.

May I ask what thickness the leather cord is on your necklace, and how large are the pearl holes? Do you have any type of spacers between the pearls?

Thank you TriciaS! It’s my favorite pearls on leather necklace too;)

As for the cord it is 1,4-1,6mm; the pearl holes are 1,8mm for the most part and no spacers used, I like the look of them without the spacers but maybe should have used some...

Charlotta I purchased kangaroo leather from an etsy shop based in Sweden, . emoticonleads

Might be cheaper for you. Their shipping to Denmark was high but added fees and VAT would have been more from a seller outside of the EU. The leather works well for me. I pulled 4 Tahitians on it to wrap around my wrist and close with a small Tahitian through a loop like a button.

Thank you KarinK, the etsy seller emoticonleads is great. I got my leather cords in something like 3 days or so. The shipping was fine, it didn't even have to travel all that far. She has lots of colors, not round but flat. When I redrilled the pearls to 2mm drillholes I could get the cord through relatively easy. I made a bracelet/necklace for my stuffed toy goat Bäärtil and a necklace for me. Bäärtil has navy leather and a white south sea pearl with some faint bands of blue and green.
_20210808_152054.JPG
I used dark brown leather and a big golden south sea pearl in the middle and 8 tahitians. The pearls are mostly from Pearlescence, only the 2 small tahitians are from Druzydesign.
_20210810_154926.JPG
_20210810_160040.JPG
I ordered a meter of dark green leather as well for maybe using it with a carved jade pendant that might forever be stuck in customs. Well there are 2 pendants but I think that dark brown will be good with the other one. They are already made into necklaces, but I don't know what cord the seller used. Best to be prepared. If they arrive that is...
I was going to make a bracelet as well but got sidetracked arranging pearls...

I’ve been having fun making very simple Tahitian pearl and leather necklaces. Most will be gifts. I love how leather can really show off the beauty of one or a few T’s.

Leather is from Leatheroo (thanks, Pattye) and pearls from CMW.

Well, I can’t upload the photo; got the same message that Charlotta has been getting. I’ve exceeded the forum’s upload quota of 4.1 mb.

Back