Pearl vs. Clasp size

Karman

I have some pearls that I'm having trouble finding the clasp I want...
The end pearls are about 10 mm, clasp height is just under 9 mm. I don't have the clasp on hand to compare to the pearls so not sure if it would look odd.

When you make your necklaces, do you usually pick clasps that are slightly smaller, exactly the same or slightly larger than the pearls? Would it look odd to have a smaller clasp than pearls?

Edited to add:

I really want to make a necklace that is a genuine pearl & solid gold clasp version of this Kate Spade style. I'm having a hard time finding a bow clasp that's larger and legitimately looks like a bow! If you have any suggestions, I'm all ears!

fd23d2c077ab13fc5702e18fae1ec47a.jpg

Last edited:
I try to find a clasp that is roughly the same size or a mm or two bigger than the pearls, but I really have to lay it next to the pearls to see if it will work.

I generally prefer larger clasps with lots of interest, as I want them to show.

To me a smaller clasp makes the strand look cheap. And it definitely is cheaper than a larger clasp, so it gives me the impression the pearls are less expensive, too. Then again, if the clasp is too big for the pearls, it can make real pearls look like costume jewelry.

I usually choose a clasp the same size as or 1 mm smaller than the end pearls. If you want to wear the clasp in front and want it to be a statement piece, like the bow on the Kate Spade necklace, you need to go larger. This is the best I could find with a quick search.

http://www.americanpearl.com/diambowclas.html

You might have better luck locating a bow shaped connector finding that is not a clasp. Then you could use a simple ball clasp or mystery clasp in the back.

BW and Kay - thanks for your input!

That clasp is beautiful!! I will definitely keep that in mind if I can't find another without diamonds (so the price tag isn't so $$!)

To me, what's most important is how easy the clasp is to work. Small clasps can be too fiddly, but I've also see large clasps that have tiny business ends, which really puts me off. If the clasp is big, the business part of the closure should be equally big and easy to maneuver.

For a strand or knotted bracelet, I usually try to keep the clasp at about the size +/- 1mm, unless I want the clasp to be more of the design focus, then I will go larger. But in general, I'm not a big fan of clasps that are disproportionately larger than the pearls. Also, I agree with BW, function is critical choosing a clasp. If it's too difficult to open or close, I won't wear it.

If the strand graduates then I go with that and use same size as last pearl/bead. If all the same size I use that or bit larger ..like 1 mm . If they are random I go for the largest that works. I hate small clasps and only use when they can't be avoided.

I love the idea of the large bow ..but large in Real Gold is hard to find dud to the cost ...companies tend to make them 'normal' large and not 'statement ' large. I'll keep an eye out though !

Back