Pearl Restringing

Turtle

Where to have Pearls restrung by an honest reputable person or jeweler in house that one can trust . I am in San Francisco/ Bay Area California

I live on a South sea Pearl Farm in remote North Queensland, Australia. I just googled Pearl stringing, San Francisco and came up with what looks like some quality folk's that can help you out. Try it and let us know how you went.

Pearl restringing can be pricey; in our area I was quoted $66 for an 18 inch necklace (which is why I started doing my own restringing.) Should you feel like learning how, we have threads on this topic in the Lowly Beaders Forum.

If you prefer to have them restrung professionally and if you find that restringing services in your area are expensive, you can send them to Pearl Paradise to be done (see link here: https://support.pearlparadise.com/en-US/do-you-restring-at-pearl-paradise-136753)

The jeweler I used to go to charged $1 per knot. No, thank you.

Important to find someone reputable. My husband gave me a double set of Yoneda pearls for my 21st - (31 years ago). I had them re-strung twice - the second time I had them re-strung was in Auckland at Michael Hill Jewellers in Lyn Mall. When they were returned, they seemed extremely white, when I asked why they were so white, the jeweller told me they had cleaned them as they were not meant to be the colour they were when I took them in. They broke again 5 years later and I didn't bother taking them in again to get fixed. I left them in a plastic bag in a jewellery box under my bed. I recently pulled them out and they are peeling very badly. Very interesting though the pearl in the clasp has not done the same thing.

kol, that sounds very strange; I wonder what they used as a cleaning solution?

Pearls should not be kept in plastic bags long term, however; they dry out. This may have contributed to their peeling.

Are you thinking of buying a new strand?

Important to find someone reputable. My husband gave me a double set of Yoneda pearls for my 21st - (31 years ago). I had them re-strung twice - the second time I had them re-strung was in Auckland at Michael Hill Jewellers in Lyn Mall. When they were returned, they seemed extremely white, when I asked why they were so white, the jeweller told me they had cleaned them as they were not meant to be the colour they were when I took them in. They broke again 5 years later and I didn't bother taking them in again to get fixed. I left them in a plastic bag in a jewellery box under my bed. I recently pulled them out and they are peeling very badly. Very interesting though the pearl in the clasp has not done the same thing.

Welcome, kol,
This is very sad to hear. Could you possibly share some photos of your pearls, close ups showing the peeling. A white background like a paper towel works well. We all learn from seeing photos.

Do you think they switched pearls on you and gave you a fake strand? This is such sad news to us pearl lovers.

Back