Pearl or Interesting Bead?

jmd

I thought I knew what a pearl looked like before I encountered this strand. Sorta Kasumi, sorta reborn keshi, or maybe not a pearl at all?? Strand contains 37 beads, on silk, no knots, and what looks like a highly tarnished silver rectangular antique box clasp. But the twisted shape of each bead is the highlight. I haven't bought these, the owner has no idea of their vintage, but they are haunting me. Ops, forgot to mention they are graduated, 7 - 10mm. Any chance they really are pearls, and if so, what kind??

Attachments

• $(KGrHqVHJBsFGzqTp(n3BRvJvPeq5!~~60_14[1].jpg
    $(KGrHqVHJBsFGzqTp(n3BRvJvPeq5!~~60_14[1].jpg
    2.7 KB · Views: 24
  • pearls.jpg
    pearls.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
jmd,

Sorry, they don't look remotely like any pearls I've ever seen. Interesting shape, a cross between a shell, rose and pearl! Most likely beads with a pearlized finish. Doesn't look to me like genuine cultured pearls or real shells. The holes are likely fairly large, and instead of having sharp edge, will look slightly rounded because of the finish. Hopefully the seller isn't indicating they are cultured pearls.

I thought I knew what a pearl looked like before I encountered this strand. Sorta Kasumi, sorta reborn keshi, or maybe not a pearl at all?? Strand contains 37 beads, on silk, no knots, and what looks like a highly tarnished silver rectangular antique box clasp. But the twisted shape of each bead is the highlight. I haven't bought these, the owner has no idea of their vintage, but they are haunting me. Ops, forgot to mention they are graduated, 7 - 10mm. Any chance they really are pearls, and if so, what kind??

Thanks all!! I was certainly doubtful as well, but not an expert by a long short on exotics. And given that each bead is different both in form and size it doesn't given the illusion of a manufactured bead. In fact when you see the full strand, they look like mishappened pearls, although the consistency of the finish should probably have clued me in right from the start. Pattye, to your question, no, they are not being sold as cultured pearls, but the question is posed by the seller that they might be vintage kasumi, or some other peal form. But he openly admits he just doesn't know. Thanks for your assistance. I may still decide to buy them based on their unique form, but if I do I'll be sure its not at a pearl price.

I've seen them in Greenhills, sold as beads and not pearls. So yes, beads with pearlized coating.

I didn't bother to ask. $10-15? But I will inquire next time I visit the market...which could be this afternoon :)

Each bead seems to be different which hints against mass production.
The only pearl possibility is some sort of nucleus....

Beads are manufactured to be graduated for high-end costume jewelry. They make beautiful baroque "pearl" jewelry with no two alike. :)

Back