Pearl found in Fried Oyster @ Dinner.........Is it anything to be excited about?

markedwards

This is the pearl we found in our fried oyster at a local restaraunt. Just wondering if it's anything to be excited about? wine tasters dinner

In terms of value, unfortunately no. In terms of rarity, and something that only happens to a few people in the world every year, yes. Is it purple? It looks more like a Cherrystone than an oyster pearl.

It has a purplish hue to it. My husband bit into his fried oyster and this came out, so...........we're clueless.

The purple would make me think it is a quahog, but that would make it a clam pearl, not an oyster pearl. They can be quite valuable, depending on the quality, shape, size, etc. But if the clam was fried, the pearl wouldn't have much value anymore, unfortunately. Pearls are very sensitive to heat and are easily damaged in normal circumstances. But it truly is a very rare find.

I've seen purple pearls from different kinds of Ostrea and Mytilus. It's not exclusive to venus clams.

Even uncooked, oyster pearls seldom have gem value, but are an excellent keepsake and a rare tale of wonder.

We ordered fried oysters last night and there were two that had what I'm assuming from this forum, little pearls!! Attached is a picturePearl.jpg

Back