Pearl drill recommendations

OK, so now I have officially gone off the deep end, eating my words....I bought the Japanese pearl drill recommended by Jacques in the post above. Now I just need a cheap source for "practice pearls" to test out if I've really lost my marbles. BTW, Yotsuba sells a double pearl drill, the kind that can drill both ends at one time!

Lolol JP you are too funny!

I just got the cheap drill about 3 weeks ago ..drilled one hole so far lol. But ..I just took some of the cheap eBay stuff from many years back and practiced . JP ..I'm sure you can find some on ETSY .id be interested in the shell pearl nuclei as well for practice . I'm certainly not starting on my pointy un drilled Jac Tahitians !

Last edited:
Also I bet if you asked Wen she would get you the nuclei. Thanks to all for sharing their drilling experiences. Not sure I can justify one for home, but good to know what works & what doesn't!

lol. the pearls and thread are one thing as they don't take up much space. equipment is harder as we live in a small city house and space is at a premium. plus i already have a tumbler that's collecting rather a lot of dust. anyone want to trade a tumbler for a drill?

hi all, I'm new to pearls but was wanting to see if I could drill them myself. I'll only be doing holes half way through to start with. My question is what type of bits do you use to drill pearls? I've seen spiral drill bits, triangle shaped bits and grinding bits.

Thanks, these are the type I was going to try but want too sure if they'd crack or chip the acre. I've read normal drill bits can crack pearls.

s-l1600.jpg

Back