Original pearl identification

H

hairiah hunainy

hello i have some problem i hope u can help me.

1. I want to know the steps to indentify the original pearl and not and give me some direction for it.
2. i also want to know about pearl at asean country example borneo or filipine

I am not sure if you mean natural pearl or genuine pearl in your question. A natural pearl is very difficult to detect, and can only be determined absolutely with an x-ray test.

If you would like to know whether or not a pearl is genuine, however, this is much easier. The easiest method is known as the 'tooth test'. This is a simple test preformed by rubbing the pearl against the biting edge of your front tooth. A genuine pearl will feel slightly gritty, while a fake pearl, or a bead designed to look like a pearl, will feel smooth.

If the pearl is from a saltwater variety, such as Tahitian, South Sea, or Akoya, you may also be able to peer down the drill hole to detect a nucleus. A fake pearl will not have a visible nucleus.

Regarding your question about pearls from the Philippines and Borneo; the Philippines are now producing large quantities of Golden South Sea pearls. Tahitian production has been attempted, but success has yet been fleeting. A company under the brand name 'Jewelmer' is dominating the Philippine production at this time.

I have not heard of a pearl industry in Borneo. I have heard of a company called 'Borneo Pearl', but I am under the assumption that this is a brand name, not a pearling center. I could be mistaken, but if pearling is an industry in Borneo I am quite certain it is in infancy.

Last edited by a moderator:
You are right about Borneo Pearl. This is the brand name they operate under. I know they have offices in Australia, the UK, and I think Malaysia as well. Malaysia does border Borneo, however, and Borneo is on the Celebes Sea, so there may be some good pearling bays in that area. I know that there are a few Golden SSP farms just South and East of Borneo.

can give another steps

can give another steps

hello, thanks for u information to me. Actually i have some speech about the major steps that we can use to identified an original pearl or fake pearl. So i must actually have 3-4 steps so before this u already give me one and i already have one so i need u and who others can help me to settle my preparation of my speech. Because my speech want to inform my audience how we want to identified an original pearl or fake pearl. I already find some material but in my country have lake information. Can u give me the info before next week. Thanks very much.

Last edited by a moderator:
The most common, well-known test for determining whether or not a pearl is genuine is the ‘tooth test’. If rubbed against your teeth a genuine pearl will feel slightly gritty. This is due to the layers of nacre that have formed throughout the cultivation process. If the pearl is not genuine it will feel smooth, like a glass bead. These beads are made of glass, plastic, or oyster shell, which has been dipped in paint, or iridescent fish scales.

Some people believe that genuine pearls will feel cool when picked up. This is not a good method for determining the authenticity of a pearl necklace, but I feel it does have some merit. It is usually quite easy for me to determine whether or not a strand is genuine by simply holding the strand in my hands.

Also, peer down the drill hole. If the strand is not genuine the coating will fade over time. You may be able to see discoloration or chipping and cracking of the paint or fish scale coating.

The last method I can think of, which can be done without a laboratory, is using a loupe (30x magnification is a bare minimum) to view the surface of the pearl. A genuine pearl will have visible concentric layers, while an imitation pearl will have a more textured, but smooth look.

Lake Pearls

Lake Pearls

Ohh Where are you from hairiah hunainy??? would you be willing to share the lake parl information with me???? I do historical re-enactment. and I am desperately seeking anything on pearls pre 1600 AD....

Thank you in advance
Ashby

I just wanted to let you know that the user 'hairiah hunainy' has not been on the forum since August.

Lake Pearls

Lake Pearls

Thanks for the Information!

Ashby

Back