Opinion of South Sea Pearls

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whatever the label (AAA..AA, 'gem' 'scgem) these are what they are. Lovely sight!

I wonder whether the pictures show the differences between strands realistically enough to tell such strands apart. For example, in your second set of pictures, the third (top-down) seems to have the highest lustre. Is that one better then the others in real life too?

If you are still in picture-posting mood, any chance to see some of the more unusual singles and pairs on your hands? :)

Pairs

Pairs

Here Valeria, are some of our pairs at your request.

Attachments

• IMG_0012.jpg
    IMG_0012.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_0029.jpg
    IMG_0029.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_0078.jpg
    IMG_0078.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 42
  • 16.jpg
    16.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 53
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 53
Pairs

Pairs

Hi Valeria,here are some of our pairs at your request.

Attachments

• IMG_0012.jpg
    IMG_0012.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_0029.jpg
    IMG_0029.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_0078.jpg
    IMG_0078.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 37
  • 16.jpg
    16.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 47
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 47
Hi Eugene,

Your pearls look like quality--I especially like the pastel strand and the silver pair of rounds.

The plus in AA+ is not unnecessary, it have a proper meaning and that is that the pearl/s is better than typical AA but not quite as good as AAA.

I agree with this, you can get a very nice AA pearl slightly off round and then get an AA+ pearl that overall is the exact same pearl but instead of being slightly off round they are round making them just a little more valuble. We sell A-, A, A+, AA, and Crown pearls at any given time our A- quality could easily be sold as an A but since it doesn't meet our criteria shape wise we down grade them to an A- same applies to all other qualities we offer.

Eugene,

Please show us some of your freshwaters. That would be under a different thread, though.

Hello all of you wonderful PG'ers!
I need to chime in here. In regards to my grading system, I see, handle and work with thousands of pearls each year. After all these years I have developed my own personal grading system which has caused some great distress among many. I realize a lot of you may think this is ludicrous, but it's all done by my developed trained eye. I understand now I should stress this in my listings, so many changes are coming in the near future. One being a new website!
I love what I do, so my listings are extreme in the descriptions to exude my passion to all.
BTW, we just made a trip to Guaymas, Sea of Cortez. The 2008 harvest is SUPERB!

Sincerely,
Carolyn

Hi Carolyn,

Sooooo delighted to see you here! Many of us do understand your passion for pearls and look forward to hearing your perspectives on various issues!

Hello all of you wonderful PG'ers!
I need to chime in here. In regards to my grading system, I see, handle and work with thousands of pearls each year. After all these years I have developed my own personal grading system which has caused some great distress among many. I realize a lot of you may think this is ludicrous, but it's all done by my developed trained eye. I understand now I should stress this in my listings, so many changes are coming in the near future. One being a new website!
I love what I do, so my listings are extreme in the descriptions to exude my passion to all.
BTW, we just made a trip to Guaymas, Sea of Cortez. The 2008 harvest is SUPERB!

Sincerely,
Carolyn

I don't think Caitlin meant anything bad by it. I think what she was saying is that you are trust-worthy even though there is no grading on your auctions.

Things like the following, I would not consider a grading system at all.
EXCEPTIONAL FINEST GEM QUALITY
Finest AAAAA+++++QUALITY
SUPERB FINE RARE AAA GEM QUALITY

Hi Jeremy,

Thank you for your kind reply. I understand Caitlin did not mean anything bad at all. She has always been one of my greatest supporters. Yet, I do appreciate you explaining what she meant and for your input.

I find many pearl farmers and vendors have their own grading system. For instance while visiting Guaymas and viewing the Sea of Cortez 2008 harvest, the farmers have added a new grade, The National Selection.

I am currently re-vamping my listings to encourage the true real grading system of pearls.

I don't know if I've ever told you that your website is the most informative on the web. The very BEST. Thank you for all you do.

Sincerely,
Carolyn

Eugene,

I am delighted you have certificates! Can you post the cetificates? Or at least name the certification lab? That is the bottom line for estimating their value on the American Market.

Personally, I love "carrot's" pearls. Do you hate that version of your Name, Care? My daughter called you that because she misheard me saying saying your name correctly. (We have some posts about nicknames on another thread and the recipients often do not love them.)

I love the way Care has relationships going back many years with Mar de Cortez Perlas , and others, and that she features Josh's pearls too. I too, pick up her enthusiasm/passion for pearls from her ads and just ignore her ratings.

When one sells designer pearls, as hoards of folks here do, even if they are commercial grade pearls the finished products don't need a grade. They just need descriptions and photos.

Those commercial grade pearls often have excellent luster, it is usually shape and less luster that gets them dyed and sent to the GL&W and other such shows.

PS Even if some people are critical of her sytem of grading, I meant only nice comments about Care's style. I am entirely inconsistant on this, but I bow to her designing skills.

Last edited:
Many many thanks Caitlin, for your extra kind words!

I understand a major problem which believe it or not never occured to me. I do consider pearls to be gems. When I use Exceptional Fine Gem Quality, I am not nor was ever implying that the pearl was gem quality..Woops!! As I have worked with rare gemstones for several years before adding pearl gems to my designs, this was the standard for gemstones, at least in my world of gems and minerals.

Enjoy,
Carolyn

I didn`t know you could get south seas in Tahiti.

So you are saying that all other pearls than the ones from Japan are completely natural? Interesting.
There are no South Seas (Pinctada maxima) in Tahiti, only "black" pearls from P. margaritifera. And by "natural", Eugene means natural colors.

Oooh, love the last photo. South Sea pearls are one of my favs.

I've bought from carehret several times and been VERY pleased.

There are no South Seas (Pinctada maxima) in Tahiti, only "black" pearls from P. margaritifera. And by "natural", Eugene means natural colors.

I was well aware of this. I was sarcastic. As far as I know, there are no golden south sea pearls in Australia, so unless I'm wrong, where did he get the pearls? And calling natural coloured pearls natural pearls are misleading.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back