One of my molars found this one

koine202

Greetings, this is my first post. I asked Google about how to find out about a pearl and this was suggested by a Yahoo answers question someone else had asked. Anyway, I was eating the Westport Seafood Feast at the Crab Pot in Seattle and bit into this (my teeth are okay) when I was eating one of the clams. All of their clams and mussels are classified as saltwater. Anyway, the picture is attached. I was curious if this is a pearl, and if so, what kind it might be. It has a purplish hue. It is small as the paper it is on is a standard business card. As it is small, I know it is likely to be not worth much, but I'd be happy to know such information :)

Attachments

• Selection of fine Conch Pearls
    Selection of fine Conch Pearls
    19.5 KB · Views: 32
The Westport Seafood Feast is reknown for showcasing Pacific seafood.

Regions of Puget Sound produce tremendous volumes of Manila clams (Venerupus philipinarium) and are a big hit at the table for their bite sized and very tasty steamers. Am I right assuming you were eating these at the time? (2 inch shells with purple edges internally and brownish markings that appear like mountain peaks externally)

I once grew Manila clams commercially, and have eaten countless amounts, but never found a single pearl. If that's the case, then you've found something rare, but not necessarily valuable.

Sadly though, cooking destroys the structure of any pearl.

It's a nice keepsake from a lucky event.

Nice souvenir, especially if the clam was raw and the pearl escaped being cooked.

Back