Old but Fresh ?

V

Valeria101

So old it seems just ready to become trendy again... Would you do this to a series of roundish baroque pearls? :cool:

There probably are enough pearls there for a 'normal' choker. Would anyone prefer this alternative?

Haven't seen anything quite like this, although the style seems so straightforward and elegant.

LINK to source

The lady in the portrait looks somewhat scary, so I took the liberty to take only the relevant part of the image:

apsgl9.png

What would you rather use between the pearls? :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Josh
You have some interesting matches there. And i see a couple more too.

I really love keshi and this is the first Tahitian Keshi I have seen.

What would a necklace of keshi cost compared to the nucleated pearls?

Or, what kind of units do you sell the keshi in? And a ball park average per single keshi....

Do the keshi have to be inspected too? If so what are their criteria?

Last edited:
Hi Ana
What would you rather use between the pearls?
Last year I did a series of pieces that had bigger pearls and in between were little baroque pearls (dyed black) about 3mm that look much like the little beads in the picture. I quite like that look.

Josh said:
I was thinking some 10mm plus ones like these. What do you think?
10mmkeish.jpg

I really like the wild look of these, Josh.

Valeria101 said:
So old it seems just ready to become trendy again... Would you do this to a series of roundish baroque pearls? :cool:

There probably are enough pearls there for a 'normal' choker. Would anyone prefer this alternative?

Haven't seen anything quite like this, although the style seems so straightforward and elegant.

LINK to source

The lady in the portrait looks somewhat scary, so I took the liberty to take only the relevant part of the image:

apsgl9.png

What would you rather use between the pearls? :rolleyes:

Here is one of mine along the same lines. It would be darn pretty if I had Tahitian Keshis.;)

Stringing pearls at Paspaley's sorting facility.
pendant.jpg
pearls.jpg
Sorry, daylight photos would be better, but you get the idea.

Cheers,
Blaire

Nice, Blaire!

Josh, I second Caitlin's post requesting more info. I want some of those keshi!!! :)

Perle

Josh said:
I was thinking some 10mm plus ones like these. What do you think?

I think that would be pretty darn perfect, that's what I think! :D

Using pairs for the sections on the left and right of the centra pearl would be nice... So that makes for six pairs, one central pearl and six more going down. Lots of keshi!

Valeria101 said:
Pretty! What are the pearls?

Thanks! The pearls are all Chinese freshwater pearls. I had a multi-color strand of near-rounds with excellent lustre that went into the pearl stations. I plan to make necklaces in each color so I don't waste any pearls.

Cheers,
Blaire

Josh--those are amazing keishi! I ditto Caitlin's request--how can we get some? (already drilled).

Blaire, love that antiquey necklace! What is the metal?

Here's my suggestion for spacers on that necklace:

1. small rainbow dyed fw

2. round faceted red garnets

3. sapphire or spinel rondelles

4. moonstone

IMHO

Pattye
so many pearls, so little time

pattye said:
Josh--those are amazing keishi! I ditto Caitlin's request--how can we get some? (already drilled).

Blaire, love that antiquey necklace! What is the metal?

Here's my suggestion for spacers on that necklace:

1. small rainbow dyed fw

4. moonstone

IMHO

Pattye
so many pearls, so little time

Moonstone? I LOVE Moonstone!;) The necklace is made of antiqued brass.

Blaire: You have some interesting findings in that piece.

knotty panda said:
Blaire: You have some interesting findings in that piece.

Including the clasp I had to make myself?:)

The problem with the brass is you can't get some of the ordinary findings and it costs more than sterling silver, sometimes way more!:eek:

That centerpiece is very unusual. Fits the theme of the piece well. Is brass easy to wire wrap? Your loops look fantastic.

pattye said:
...my suggestion for spacers on that necklace:

1. small rainbow dyed fw

4. moonstone

Spinel ? Thanks for reminding me of black spinel! Haven't seen allot o small ones, but you never know... I was thinking 'black' from looking at te picture - so that nothing interferes with the pearls subtle grays.

And for some reason black pearls look so great on red coral.

Hm... lots of possibilities!

knotty panda said:
That centerpiece is very unusual. Fits the theme of the piece well. Is brass easy to wire wrap? Your loops look fantastic.

Brass is easy to wire wrap, yes. Just like gold-filled. That makes me wonder if gold-filled has brass inside, or just pot metal??? Hmmm...

Perfect loops??? Wow, thanks. The wire on the pearl stations was thinner than I would have liked, but the other wire was too big for the holes.

Valeria101 said:
Spinel ? Thanks for reminding me of black spinel! Haven't seen allot o small ones, but you never know... I was thinking 'black' from looking at te picture - so that nothing interferes with the pearls subtle grays.

And for some reason black pearls look so great on red coral.

Hm... lots of possibilities!

Ouch! My brain hurts from all the possibilities. I'll have to post some later in the appropriate forum.;)

Back