nucleated FW versus SS: differences?

The differences in colors, shapes, blemishes are often subtle; looking at a photograph makes it even more difficult. Please don't feel stupid; check out the links below the names of the peeps who post here. You will find photos of pearls that are correctly identified.

Starinthesea,

You shouldn't feel stupid at all. The differences can be quite subtle and difficult to see, especially if you don't have the experience. Some are very obvious, others not so much.

This one, for example, looks like it could be a South Sea from a distance. But the close up shows that it is clearly a freshwater. The shape, the color, the surface, the matching ... there is no question it is freshwater.

One trick I have in determining whether or not a strand is as described or misrepresented is by looking at the sellers' other listings. If I were unsure about the seller above, PamelaFranceAntiques, I'd look for other listings that may be painfully obvious like this one and this one. The seller has a lot of really poor quality Chinese freshwater but refers to nearly everything as South Sea, akoya and even Kasumi.

ss pearls tend to have a lustre which is silky, like satin, rather than super shiny.
Flaws in ss and t tend to be either rings (which freshwater also have but not so often) or the dents tend to look more like a stone dropped into a thick puddle of mud rather than a random dent..again usually.
Also usually you can make out the round bead inside (although this doesn't make for a difference with bead nucleated freshwaters of course)
And, often, the price is a total give-away. SS and T are never that cheap
sure other people can think of other differences

Ok :)
Thank you all so much for your advice and tips! And for taking your time answering a pearl newbie, I appreciate that a lot!!

The lower cost findings...you won't generally find sterling silver findings with SSP and Tahitians.

Conversely, gold findings (or findings that the seller claims are gold, but may be plated) are also not a guarantee that they are SSP or Tahitians.

It's just a low luster pearl-- this is pretty common with low quality freshwaters.

Hi there ! Sorry we missed your post..for some reason I didn't see it listed in the new posts.
We have lots of issued in the past with 'antique' dealers and mislabelled pearls .

Definitely spend time on the sites mentioned and also Tahitian Pearl Biz is good for lots of Tahitian strands.

The prices you see on all of these sites, for the size of the pearls and grade, are very very reasonable. Anything less than these prices would be highly suspect. Good SS and Tahitian pearls are never cheap but they can be a good buy... these sites all represent a good buy.

(lol I not only missed your post but I missed the whole second page ! Rather than repeat all that good advice I'll just erase it ! )

Last edited:
A link to that article with photos of SS pearls would be very helpful if someone can find it. I'm on a cell phone. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi!

Glad to see people jumped on and answered your post.

Once you look carefully at the differences between real South Sea pearls and Fresh water pearls, you'll easily be able to make them out in the future.

Remember - South Sea Pearls are characterized by a warm, softer, satiny luster!

Also, everyone here would probably agree that sites like Etsy, Ebay etc.. should be better regulated, so that vendors cannot misrepresent pearl types like this.

But alas, it probably won't change.

Best to shop on pearl-specialty websites from people who love, and know the most, about all kinds of pearls.

There are gorgeous pieces out there if you look a little bit, and the prices are way better than what you would find in any physical jewelry shop.

Enjoy!

Last edited:
Thank you for the two links, they are very helpful!!!
Yes it would be nice if Etsy, Ebay and co. would actually regulate a bit. It's far too easy for sellers to misrepresent their goods. I think they sometimes also have no idea what exactly they sell. So it's up to the buyers to get themselves educated.
For that I'm very glad I found this forum :)

starsinthesea...my advice to you, as a relative novice with pearls myself, is to work with the vendors Jeremy has posted. I have made purchases from Pearl Paradise, as well as other vendors who participate on this forum. You get what you pay for, and if you are looking for quality and value, these are the best of the best. Yes, a bargain is to be had on eBay...but only if you really know what you are looking at...which, I don't. It is also worth it to mention that bargains can also be had through these wonderful vendors. They often run monthly specials, as well as special sales throughout the year (holiday, mother's day, etc). And finally, if you are deciding what you want, develop a budget and work with the vendors on what they can offer within your price range.

Back