New Chinese Ripple Look A-Like Kasumi Pearls

userangl28212003

Community member
So I still have the bug and I have this beautiful rainbow colored Kasumi like Chinese freshwater pearl strand coming to me from KongsPearls. Pearls are 11-14mm Also I just received my silver-blue akoya pearl from PP, which I will post once I get good daylight to take pictures. Here are vendors pictures, hope the look as good in real life :).

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg

Last edited:
OOOO, pretty. Let us know what you think when you get them. I find that my ripples change color depending on the light source. Best time to view them is in the shade during sunrise or sunset, and that's the best time to take photos. Shade, outside, natural light is the best. Oddly enough, florescent bathroom lighting at work also seems to be good for bringing out their color to my eye, although that lighting takes bad photos.

They look lovely, my ripples change colors so much depending on the light.

Congratulations on the pretty new strand! Can’t wait to see your photos.

Thanks you guys :). I will post as soon as I receive it. For now I will soon post my blue akoyas from PP and new circle peacock colored tahitian pearls by this weekend. waiting for some good natural light as it has been raining lately :)

I’ll be interested to see how your ripples look in person. I bought a strand from Kongs that had similar strong metallic colors in their beauty shots but in real life, I have yet to find any light in which they look as good. It was really disappointing as they were on the high end of Kongs prices and I have yet to wear them. Maybe I need to build a light box to wear around my neck.

Parrot Lady and userangl28212003, I have bought 2 ripplestrands from Kongspearl. They look very different depending on the light. In shade or diffused light they look beautiful and glow. In sunlight they look very boring. I will show the difference in some photos. First my paler first strand of roundish 13-15 mm pale pink and sometimes green strand. I have changed them some recently. This is on a table in natural light.
_20190409_104338.jpg
Next in my foldable lightbox.
_20190409_104422.jpg
This is the new design, still in my lightbox.
_20190409_104526.jpg
My new ripples in the lightbox.
_20190409_104216.jpg
Next my strand in my outdoors room in our summer cabin, its northfacing with see through roof. It's the only thing that can top Kongspearls lightbox. I think they have a very good lightbox.
_20190409_104137.jpg
But Kongspearl probably don't have a big lightroom box like I do, haha. I just have to wear the ripples in the shade like a vampire....sorry for highjacking your tread userangl28212003.

No problem. I also bought these ones from them out of all other ones because She was raving about the color, and she didn'y do that with other ones in around same price catagory so I was hoping these were nicer than her other ones. We will see in a week and a half I guess :)

I favourited that strand on Kongs a while back without any real intention of buying it - hope you like it, and looking forward to your real-life shots.

I’ll be interested to see how your ripples look in person. I bought a strand from Kongs that had similar strong metallic colors in their beauty shots but in real life, I have yet to find any light in which they look as good. It was really disappointing as they were on the high end of Kongs prices and I have yet to wear them. Maybe I need to build a light box to wear around my neck.

I remember at my first PP ruckus several years ago, Sarah from Kojima had a couple dozen Kasumi-like strands laying on the dining table of the mansion. One strand in particular stood out to me, and when I picked it up and checked the price (and checked with Sarah), it turned out that was the one and only genuine Kasumi strand in the bunch. At least at that time, it made a difference between Chinese and Japanese.

As for the wearing a light box idea, one suggestion is to wear the strand with an open collar white shirt. Just as I photograph my pearls inside a white box to help bring out the overtones, the same thing will happen with the pearls nestled against your skin with a white collar surrounding them.

In the end, I gave up on Chinese ripples for myself, and gave mine away as Christmas/Birthday gifts to my in-laws.

I ordered and returned quite a few ripples before I found a couple of strands I really liked. Most of the strands I returned had one pearl I liked and the rest were duds. I like my second strand better than my first strand, but they nest nicely and can be linked together to make a rope, so I'm hanging onto the first strand.

I was looking after a similar rippled strand from Kongs with green tones. But then she posted 2 purple strands yesterday and i had to get one!

Ooh, suchi, those purples looked so interesting - please post pics when the arrive?

Question: Are these considered Kasumi-like pearls? I never really been into ripples/Kasumi, but this caught my eye and I was wondering what category this goes into :).
kasumi like pearls.jpg

Abi: What information are they giving about those pearls?

Back