Need some drilling advice please!

Zakkala

Community member
Hiya,

So, I've been playing around with my new pearl drill today (one of the cheap chinese made ones that drills from one side and 'flips' the pearl 180 degrees in a clamp) and need a bit of advice on technique please! Before I started, I read through every thread on drilling I could find, but just need a bit of advice on the gaps in knowledge I haven't managed to fill in yet please.

The first couple drilled okay, but the third, fourth and fifth pearl I had some problems with the drill bit moving over the pearl surface and not going in straight. :mad:

Pearls are 6-7mm freshwater and I'm using the second smallest pearl drill bit - hard to say, but looks about 0.6 or 0.8mm. Can anyone give me some guidance on the best way of avoiding this slipping problem? Some of my thoughts are...

1) Is the drill bit better started in contact with, or at a distance from, the surface? I'm guessing at a distance.

2) Is it better to start slower and then speed up once the bit is into the nacre or go full speed from the start?

3) I'm using the pearl drills that came with the machine rather than traditional twist drills (there were some of these included too), is that the best approach or should I try the twist bits?

4) Does the size of collar you use matter a great deal as long as the pearl is held firmly?

5) How many pearls can I expect to drill with a bit before it needs replacing?

6) Does anyone know a good source of these non twist pearl drill bits in UK as I've struggled to find any?

Be grateful for any advice you can throw my way on these points - I know these 'practice' pearls aren't particularly precious and I'm only doing this for 'fun' rather than as part of a business, but I'd rather not ruin any more than I have to while playing!;)

Thanks folks!

Hi Zakkala,
Would you mind posting a photo of your drilling device or the link to product to give a better advice?
Here are some advices
1- insert the drilling bit as deep as possible in the drilling bit holder, drill chuck ?? (don't know the name sorry) to avoid the drilling bit moving when it drills,
2- start touching the pearl as if you were to "kiss" it,
3- go smooth and gently ,
4- refresh with water to avoid heating and the drilled nacre powder coating inside the hole,
5- number of pearls drilled with a drilling bit depends on your skill, not only the quality :)
6- since you drill as " an amateur" I guess, small fresh water pearls, you can try going in a big DIY store in UK and find good drillings bits there.

Hope it helps
Besides... who are you... filll in your "about me" tab in your profile :cool:

Hiya,

Thanks for the reply! Here's the drilling machine I've got: http://www.bbeads.co.uk/pdm200-simple-style-pearl-drilling-machine-p3810.html

I did wonder if I need to insert the drill bit further - it's as far in as it can go on the 'round' bit of the bit; wasn't sure if I could insert it further with some of the actual cutting surface in the chuck. The bit just seems very....flexible.

I've had another practice this morning (some of the pearls I messed up yesterday now look like swiss cheese, I've put that many practice holes in them!) but no real success in getting a consistent approach.

Maybe I need to sharpen the bit - who knows!

I did go to fill in the 'about me' bit a while ago, but couldn't think of anything interesting to put in it! I'm just me....someone who likes messing about with pearls for myself and family (whether they want them or not!).;)

Back