Need help to identify these pearls and what they may be worth

curley

My father-in-law purchased these in 1967 while in Vietnam. I have the original box and also the certificate of origin. I have tried to research these online, but the only information I can find is that they are probably Akoya.....can anyone help me?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 31
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 43
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 30
Curley,
Welcome, beautiful necklace, yes, I'd agree cultured akoya pearls. Do you think these were sold at the PX (Post Exchange retail store for army personnel)?

I'm unable to read the certificate, but it is cool that you have it and the original box. Does the cert give origin of the pearls? I'm researching to see if any akoya were being grown in Vietnam at that time, but most likely these came from Japan.

Hi, I've seen the name "CARIBE Genuine Cultured Pearls" on boxed pearls in the past, and they are always good quality Japanese cultured seawater (Akoya) pearls.
And your string of pearls certainly looks to be a nice vintage graduated string of Akoya cultured pearls.

However your background information that they were purchased in Vietnam, and the certificate pictured, reveal a fascinating back story.

Googling Caribe Diamond Works Puerto Rico (the name on the certificate) takes you to this article:
Big Scandal Brewing On Dealings In Diamond Business In Vietnam

Of course this is irrelevant to the family history of your pearls, however I doubt Caribe Diamond Works survived the scandal as an on-going business!

Back