Varaha Mani Wild Boar Head Pearl
Vriksha Mani Tree Trunk Pearl
Akash Mani Sky Pearl
Shanka Mani Conch Shell Pearl
Venu Mani Bamboo Stem Pearl

http://www.agt-gems.com/Pearls.html

Quite interesting.

Knotty,

Your thread brings new life to my earlier thread 'Other Non-Calcareous?' in which discussion ensued regarding mustika pearls and bezoar stones, inviting interesting input from an intermediary of Indonesian shamans. The same source subsequently provided information not available in Strack in support of the existence of coconut pearls (see pertinent threads).

My opening post from 'Other Non-Calcareous?' is pasted below. Currently in Madrid where the tree pearl 'sculpture' has been in storage for over two years, this thread provides the perfect excuse to unwrap and photograph the piece!

"While in Spain recently a local hotel was sponsoring an art exhibit and we purchased a 'sculpture' consisting of a natural root formation in which a loose round ball of the same wood was intricately?and naturally?entrapped. This was referred to by the artist as a 'pearl.' Subsequently searching 'tree pearls' on the internet one enters the murky world of shamanism and talismen, touting 'pearls' of all varieties, including every conceivable animal (dragon among them) and plant. The animal pearls (human, rat, frog, etc) would certainly qualify on this forum as calcareous concretions. However, viewing photos I was especially struck by the beauty of a number of tree pearls (notably Kusomo, Banana, Wild Orchid flower), but most particularly the mystical Nagasari of Java/East Indonesia."

Steve
Seattle

Tree pearls

Yes, knowing emotions run high regarding this subject on the forum, I selected that particular site as it had some credibility and pictures. I reviewed your thread before I posted it along with a few others.

That's an amazing photo! The portholes to view the pearl were carved, I assume. I wonder what view of the pearl was available to prompt the discovery of it and did they have supporting documentation for the doubters. Unfortunately, every woodwhittler with a rocking chair and a front porch in Appalachia can carve a loose ball into a root and still prattle on about the weather while doing so.

Of the 9 pearls, that Cobra Pearl is a WOW! I wonder what sort of cobra and where can I get one that is 100-years-old?

Last edited:
knotty panda said:
Unfortunately, every woodwhittler with a rocking chair and a front porch in Appalachia can carve a loose ball into a root and still prattle on about the weather while doing so.

Hi Knotty,

And probably with one hand tied behind their backs too! You are right, Knotty, nothing that amazing about the ball in the root if you really think about how that was done.

Hey, where did your title go? I like "Knotty of Panda". Panda must be a great place---lots of eucalyptus trees I imagine.

Slraep

Of the 9 pearls, that Cobra Pearl is a WOW! I wonder what sort of cobra and where can I get one that is 100-years-old?
It said at the bottom of the page that such pearls are found in the indonesia-malaysian area and that they are fossils made primarily of silica and that it is impossible to authenticate them.

How can one of those be 100 years old if it is a fossil?

Click thru here for the link at the bottom of the page to see more pictures. Oddly, the gaji mana pictured looks quite unlike any of the pictures of gaji mana pearls seen so far on this forum. Which one is the real one?

If the pearls are found fossilized, how do they know which kind of pearl it is? Is it found in situ in a fossilized snakes head, for instance?

None of this has budged my hypothesis that such objects are of a religious, rather than a secular or a scientific nature. Those who believe don't care if science explains them or not.--Even if they have marks of man made utensils on them, they are invested, authenticated, with the energy ascribed to them by believers.

Last edited:
Ah, now I see it's from the King Cobra. Thanks!

knotty panda said:
The portholes to view the pearl were carved, I assume.
No assumptions made, nor expertise claimed. All that can be demonstrated as a result are the discussions taking place here…

knotty panda said:
I reviewed your thread before I posted it along with a few others.
The Garuda Paruna (source of Nava Moti) became an essential element of the thread 'Other' Non-nacreous?. The very point being the inclusion of conch, melo-melo and other modern-day classics among the bezoar/mustick objects being brought to light here. Pasting from one of my posts on 'Other':

"Preeminent among the sacred-text pearls is conch (Queen Conch, Melo Melo, etc)—considered 'mainstream' and 'collectible' by this forum (not to mention calcareous):

"Conch pearls are defined as 'Bezoar Stones', originating in the digestive tract of the host animal.

"I for one will extend my search for conch pearls to purveyors offering them as sacred objects, with the proviso that they be beautiful as well."

Of course, neither do we want to be ripped off! The object in my photo above was purchased purely as a sculpture, a year or more prior to my 'discovery' of pearls, and it was only well after the fact that I wondered about the possibility of natural origin.

Steve
Seattle

Last edited:
I have no doubt as to it's natural origin. It's absolutely beautiful. I just can't figure out how they knew it was in there to make it come alive.

Back