Natural black south sea pearls

bluidragon

IMG_3947.jpgMy husband bought these natural black south sea pearls in the 1960's for his wife. He went to one of most reputable jewelers in Washington, D.C.. The jeweler spent five years putting this this necklace and matching earrings together. When I gave a talk on Pearls I presented the pearls in my presentation to GIA members. It wowed the the crowd. I never wear them.....but I wanted to at least show them .... the provenance goes back ... in natural light you can see the hues. I love them.
IMG_0286.jpg

Last edited:
They are 10 mm-12 mm Baroque pearls in the necklace and 7mm Baroque earrings.

They are stunning. I would not be able to resist wearing them. Are they just not your style, or do you not wear them because they belonged to a former wife?

Gorgeous! Thank you for sharing.

If you were to restring them with a special clasp chosen by you and your husband, , would that make a difference in your feeling you could wear them?

My husband lost his first wife to breast cancer. He never thought that the wedding band that we picked out was comfortable and he quit wearing it. With my permission, he is wearing his first one again and at least he is wearing one! I got over it. You could always consider selling them :rolleyes:

Beautiful, love the sharp luster. You should wear them!!

Beautiful pearls! Thank you for sharing them. But they need some love! If you like them, you should enjoy them!

Perhaps. I had not thought of that nor brought it up. I may though. I appreciate the comments.

I have actually not once put them on. I look at them as they are beautiful. In some ways I fear if they were to fall off my husband would hate me! I have shown them twice to groups and then back to safe. I don't think my husband understood why his wife asked for Natural black south sea pearls. When I took them outside, it blew my mind the colors. It was his first time to see them in years. He was caught off guard by the various hues and luster. The blemishes don't detract as you don't see them if your standing 2ft away. You do see the violet, blue and green

If they aren't knotted between each pearl (they look like only the final few pearls are knotted) having them restrung with knots would make them much safer.

I wonder if your husband thinks you aren't wearing them for another reason-- a personal one. Would you feel comfortable bringing the topic up with him?

By natural it means the pearls are naturally formed in wild oysters or the color is naturally black?

Back