Natural Abalone Pearls

Dave,

I imagine either Wes Rankin or Jeremy Norris has contacted you. They both wholesale abs and frequent the board. If one or the other has not yet contacted you I suggest contacting them directly.

Thank you very much Mr Shepherd for your input.

Of course I knew all along that $15 a gram was ridiculous. I think I paid close to that for the abalone meat at a fine sushi bar.

To be perfectly honest, I saw your website before I joined this forum and I was well aware of your abalone perals and prices. I happen to think they are very fair prices and some of your beautiful pieces are underpriced. It's a shame that more people are not aware of the beauty and rarity of these objects they are unique works of natural art and much rarer in numbers than even diamonds.

Your one of the reasons why I decited to join this forum and post these pictures here. Perhaps if you wish to increase your inventory my friend would give you some pieces on loan and offer a very substantial commission?

Yes, I did say that someone has contacted me. Since that person has not posted about it here I choose not to mention him/her by name.
But that persons reputation and business was one of the other reasons
why I joined here, where else would someone find more world renowned experts in abalone pearls than here?

Regards,
Dave

I agree that Pearl Paradise has been offering top grade abalone pearls at realistic pricing, and have purchased a few myself to serve as the core of a beginning collection (to what purpose?as yet unknown!).

Steve
Seattle

Hi Jeremy

My booboo. I don't buy by the karat, thus my confusion. Nevertheless, Wes did have a box of abalone pearls starting at $15 a unit. That's what he sells lesser quality for, so I figure he buys it for at least 1/2 that, so I didn't want to pump Dave up with false expectations:D- the pictures aren't all that good.

I hope he does better than my ridiculous price

Last edited:
Nobody thinks you are ridiculous, Caitlin;)

What did this stuff look like in Wes's by the gram box? Is there any chance it was by the carat, not by the gram? One gram is going to be about 5 1/2 carats, and this would come out to just over $80 per gram - that would have to be very, very poor grade.

I am heading to Vegas tomorrow to do a pearl walk. I am going to stop by Pacific Coast Pearls to check it out.

Anybody else in Vegas?

Yes, Jeremy,
they were by the carat and of a lesser grade. They were kind of chalky, but still had the abalone colors. He had a bunch of roundish ones that "matched" and had been drilled and made into a necklace which was now just loose beads. I almost bought some of them- it was close to $500 for about 5 of the ones from the box I looked at, the largest about 8mm off-round, smallers were 4mm.

Last edited:
I would be willing to bet that the "pearl within a pearl" is just a loose nucleus. We run into these often (and by often I mean every thousand pearls or so) when making drop and baroque strands. It is very annoying when it happens with a really nice pearl. You cannot drill them correctly, and they are almost impossible to string - absolutely impossible to restring!

As for the pieces on our Site, I know they are under priced from retail. That was intentional. They are there to gauge Internet response and traffic on naturals. It has been a little slow since most people do not know what they are, or what they are worth, but it has been interesting learning about them and has given everyone in my office the opportunity to study a lot of pearls that most pearlers never see.

I just get so desparate when I see abalone pearls. They are my absolute favorite, all time favorite, seashell and pearl. I was amazed that Wes had abalone pearls that were blocky enough to drill, I had thought they were all pointy and fang shaped.

Caitlin Williams said:
I just get so desparate when I see abalone pearls. They are my absolute favorite, all time favorite, seashell and pearl.

Caitlin,

Fully share this fascination and desperation as evidenced by my posts under various abalone threads. The shells are certainly wonderful, as well (just got an on-line order of paua shell jewelery from a jeweler in NZ—fantastic!). The key as you indicate is to find that great color in symmetrical and useful shapes/sizes, leaving the odd horns and teeth to collectors and sculptors. Given pricing by carat it seems to me that the smaller freeform pearls (typically produced outside the animal), relatively overlooked by collectors for whom size is paramount, are more 'acquirable' and more available to boot.

Steve
Seattle

Last edited:
Wow! Would an announcement over on that thread be in order for its faithful followers?(!!).

Update:

La Catalina now resides in the Cook Islands following my suggestion of a concept to Ben Bergman of Bergman & Sons in Rarotonga, who was visiting us here in Seattle last week.

Here's the concept: The final human migration consisted of 7 outriggers (Vaka) that sailed from Rarotonga to New Zealand over 700 years ago.

La Catalina will become one hull of the Vaka, with a parallel outrigger hull to be created out of precious metal. A 'sail' in between will be a carefully selected, curved, golden P. Margaritifera shell, and the base will be New Zealand Greenstone (Jade), with a few scattered freeform Paua Abalone pearls suggesting a rocky landing beach.

If possible, a couple of shining round smaller Cook Islands pipi pearls will be stationed at a high point, symbolizing the celestial navigation skills of the ancient Polynesian sailors.

Only caveat: La Catalina, being a California H. Fulgens pearl, will be somewhat of an interloper…

Completion date: Unknown, but ASAP.

Any comments or suggestions on the above would be welcome.

Steve
Seattle

Smetzler,
What an amazing concept. Yours or a joint venture with others?
Just curious.
Ingykiz

Ingykiz

Post #1 of this thread introduces the process. The idea began with La Catalina's uniquely elegant shape, followed by my dual fascination with the equally intriguing yet disparate natural pearl sources of Penrhyn (CI) and the Chatham Islands (NZ). An intermediate stop was one evening's play with loose pearls from both areas (below).

The suggestion of using greenstone as base (vs. blown glass as originally proposed in Post #1), for its beauty and symbolism, was the gelling point. Now it's about finding the right materials, and execution.

Steve
Seattle

Attachments

• attachment.php.jpg
    attachment.php.jpg
    263.6 KB · Views: 48
smetzler said:
Any comments or suggestions on the above would be welcome.

Since you posted about Catalina, I kept thinking of its fate... and came to wonder if the hull of a boat is not too little visible... to showcase the pearl (from its pictures, it appears that the 'keel' would be the most beautiful part of the pearl, forever facing away from on-lookers).

Two possible solutions:

- make the base reflective so as to 'catch' the colors of the pearl (a concept used by other 'reflector' settings for faceted stones, unusual, but effective). Taking this further - a layer of optical-grade rock crystal, potentially carved, could be overlayed over the Green Stone base, to provide both added interest, and reflectivity where needed...

- second, aside a boat's keel, the pearl reminds me of the Pitcher Plant's specialized leaves... A design along those lines could even be wearable as a pin, or pendant attachment. And it would not be the first time in history that components of a decorative item become wearable jewelry. :) My jewelry-wearer side leans towards such a solution, unsurprisingly.

I have some pretty good idea of who could execute either concept. And if the next week is any less crazy than the last two, I could sketch the concept as well... I was itching to do so for a LONG while :eek:

Wonderful suggestions! Yes, La Catalina is nearly 100% beautiful nacre and the underside does offer the largest area of color. I could be easily pursuaded to pursue the broach/enhancer dual use (had also envisioned the pearl as an exchangable center clasp using CliClasp/J?rg Heinz-type components) as its curvature would conform to the bottom/center of a strand. Problem with all of the above: How to suspend/attach the pearl without losing color area to metal framing for secure attachment?

Objet d'Art: The reflective area of the base could be the sea, transitioning to Green Stone along one edge as the land, capturing the moment of arrival of the first Maoris to NZ! In the back of my mind I also retain the hesitation of the pearl being H. Fulgens (CA) vs. Iris (Paua), for symbolic reasons. Before proceeding with the idea will also check NZ sources for something similar.

It would be wonderful to see your sketch (no doubt elements of the lost sketch for Poe Io Mata Nui could have been incorporated—hope to have another opportunity…). As for execution, would be willing to study the alternatives, although the 'Vaka' theme would have particular meaning for jewellers in CI/NZ.

Steve
Seattle

Last edited:
Sharks

Sharks

I have seen Sharks in the area,I heard a diver got his head bit off last year,ouch! I try to keep an eye out and stay where there's some kind of reef structure between me and the open ocean. I do think though that if a Great White wants you, your his...I don't know what's going on but I think about seven divers died last season between the Lighthouse and Point Arena cove, I knew Sam Boyd from Atascadero,Ca.

Last edited:
Back