Natural Abalone Pearls

That's astonishing! How did you photograph this? I can't wait to see the rest.

Regarding the photography of my Abalone Pearls

Regarding the photography of my Abalone Pearls

The pearls were photographed at night. They were balanced on a black velvet box inside a small mylar tent (with black cloth on the bottom.) The first image of the tusk pearl was taken with a flash, and this caused a strong light refraction that distorted the color and the smooth integrity of the nacre. The second images were shot after placing small halogen lamps outside the tent to provide diffused lighting. Unfortunately neither technique worked. To tell the truth all of the photography was experimental. We did not use a tripod or have a way to steady the hand held camera. Bottom line, we simply did not understand macro photography, so the process was discouraging. The real color and sheen of the pearls is illusive and capricious. Not a good subject for an amateur photographer! I think my pearls are from the Haliotis sorensen, or the Haliotis kamtschatkana, both are shells found from Baja to California and both produce pearls with a shimmery rainbow nacre. My pearls are absolutely not the teal blue color of NZ pearls. Mine can best be described having a metallic, rainbow hued nacre. The colors seem to move, changing into subtle but brilliant shades of silvery blues, greens, pinks and soft purples. The pearls actually change color as they move and catch the light. The below site shows an example of a pearl bearing a close resemblance to my pearls:

http://www.internetstones.com/christopher-walling-abalone-pearl-jewelry.html

I am willing to continue to post so you'll see the size and shapes of my pearls if anyone is interested, but I'm afraid the color was lost in all of my photos.. the color and luminescence just has to be seen in person. Thanks for your interest, Patricia

Last edited:
mylar is that silver light-reflecting metallic stuff? Did you use that to have the flash bounce all over the item and eliminate shadows? I think that mylar+ the black must be why the interior of the pearl became so visible. I want to try that when I get a camera, see if the effect can be duplicated. Did you try sticking straight pins into the box at angles to prop the pearl @ different angles?

Wing shaped Abalone Pearl

Wing shaped Abalone Pearl

This is an wide butterfly shaped abalone pearl. It's 1 1/2" wide, by 1" by about 3/8" deep. (The true overall look of the color is silvery blue, not pink...don't know why these shots show a pink hue but I've given up trying to figure out the mystery of how and why these pearls change color though a camera lens.) There are two views of the pearl, front and back. Either side displays nicely. Pearl is hanging from a 14Kt gold cap.

Attachments

• wings front.jpg
    wings front.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 45
Reverse side of Butterfly shaped Abalone Pearl

Reverse side of Butterfly shaped Abalone Pearl

This is the reverse side of the above pearl, on a bit of an angle.

Attachments

• wings top.jpg
    wings top.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 48
Mabe type Abalone Pearl

Mabe type Abalone Pearl

This pearl sits on a triangular base. Pearl dome is almost detached but secure. The base has a brown area where it was attached, but it has a beautiful nacre underneath. Very unusual pearl. Think it would be a waste to cut it free. It should be seen from all sides.

Attachments

• top mabe.jpg
    top mabe.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:
Bottom of the Mabe Abalone Pearl

Bottom of the Mabe Abalone Pearl

Bottom view of above pearl.

Attachments

• bottom mabe.jpg
    bottom mabe.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 47
Third view, Abalone Mabe Pearl

Third view, Abalone Mabe Pearl

Another view of the above pearl. The triangular base appears round in this view but each side of the triangle measuures 1inch. Round 'dome' on top is about 1/2" across.

Attachments

• small side mabe.jpg
    small side mabe.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:
By the way, the tent we used is an inexpensive, standard tent, used for macro photography. I think it's made of mylar, the sides are white, and the bottom sheets come in different colors. I recommend using a tri pod to keep the camera still... Also the lighting is tricky. In other words there is a learning curve here and we didn't climb the curve.

Tear drop baroque Abalone Pearl

Tear drop baroque Abalone Pearl

This is a gorgeous tear drop Ab Pearl. The size is 1" long x 3/4" x 3/4" These photos are dark but they seem more accurate as far as the silvery blue rainbow colors of all of my pearls.

Attachments

• tear drop ab pearl.jpg
    tear drop ab pearl.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:
Tear Drop baroque Ab Pearl second view

Tear Drop baroque Ab Pearl second view

Another view of the tear drop pearl. The pearl is much smoother than this photo indicates. The shadows are probably due to poor lighting...Pearl is topped off with Sterling Silver so it can hang from a chain. But it's roughly set.. should be redone.

Attachments

• side tear drop ab pearl.jpg
    side tear drop ab pearl.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:
Baroque Abalone Pearl, two views

Baroque Abalone Pearl, two views

Baroque Abalone Pearl, wire wrapped in 14kt gold. Pearl looks long, but measures 3/4" x 3/4". This pearl is very colorful and the nacre is brilliant. It's a gorgeous, perfect pearl from every angle.

Attachments

• top and side baroque.jpg
    top and side baroque.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:
All of these pearls remain as they were when Santa Barbara divers discovered them in the '70's. I don't know if they should or can be polished or cleaned. In my eyes the exquisite natural beauty is astonishing enough.

Last edited:
Caitlin, yes, the reason I still have these pearls is that I love holding and looking at them. They are silky to the touch, and mesmerizing to the eye. We took some photos of the small rounds cupped inside my hand. Of course you get a better idea of size when they are photographed this way. The pearls I just posted are the largest I have with the exception of two more tusks that I will post later. I wish I'd put a ruler along side these large pearls.. it's hard to really understand how big and how solid they are by looking at the photos, isn't it?

Round Abalone Pearls

Round Abalone Pearls

I'm sure these are all abalone pearls because they are from the same source. But apparently round abalone pearls are very rare. If anyone has an opinion it would be greatly appreciated. I drilled these pearls with a large bit. Too large. But wanted to put them on gold wire or leather. Fortunately the drilling did not cause any cracking in the nacre.

Attachments

• large rounds in hand.jpg
    large rounds in hand.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:
More round pearls

More round pearls

Below are just about the same pearls that are shown in previous photo. Most of the pearls in these photos are the largest (about 12-13mm) ... a couple are smaller.

Attachments

• smaller rounds.jpg
    smaller rounds.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:
This photo illustrates the variety of sizes, but does not capture the shimmer or hue of the rounds.

Attachments

• group of rounds.jpg
    group of rounds.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:
Back