Mobe Pearl.

C

Chillbubble

Merry Christmas!,

I have bought a Mobe Pearl pendant, and I am very interested in finding out about their history but I am having trouble finding the right place to look.

I would appreciate any help that could be offered
Cheers

Chillbubble :)

I am unfamiliar with a "Mobe" pearl, so I think you are referring to a Mabe pearl.
These are the oldest cultured pearls in the world. They are easy to create so the Chinese were doing them about 4000 years ago, maybe even before then. They used to glue different shapes and icons inside the mussels to create iconic and preferred shapes.

To create a mabe pearl one simply needs to slightly pry open the shell and attach something to the inside of the shell (instead of the mantle tissue or the gonad). It only takes a few months for the mother-of-pearl to grow over the intrusion.
When the oyster is opened up you then have a blister pearl. After this blister pearl is cut from the shell, the nucleus removed and replaced with a hardened epoxy, it is called a mabe pearl.

Mabe Pearls

Mabe Pearls

:) Hi, everybody.

If you want to get some more information on Mabe Pearls, just go to the pearlguide.com site or google on "mabepearls".

Regards

Jerin

Back