Mikimoto Pearl Stud Earrings

Hi there,

I am new to the forum and to everything about pearls. I appreciate all of the information I have read in this forum and would really love any comments and suggestions you might have. I am contemplating on getting Mikimoto pearl stud earrings for my sister as her wedding gift. She might not be wearing this at the wedding, but I figure that she could use it as her everyday earrings. Her style is classic and feminine. If it matters, she is 5'4" and weights about 100 lbs.

I have narrowed it down to the the 7.5-8 mm Grade AA (priced at a low $1k) and the 8-8.5 mm Grade A+ (a few hundreds more than the former). Anything beyond this range is out of my budget. I read from this forum that I should get the best quality pearl as opposed to the bigger size, but I am still unsure of certain specifics. I don't live in the city, so I am unable to go check out the earrings in person and could only make an online purchase, which I am a little nervous about. My questions are:

- How do these two pearl grades, A+ and AA, fare in comparison? Is there a distinct difference?
- Given the two pearl sizes above, are they much different on the ears?

I was also considering the other two styles (see the attached pictures) but just thought that the simple pearl stud might be more timeless. I saw a few pictures of the stud with diamonds on the ears, and I actually really like it. Just not sure if the pearls are a little too small (7mm with Grade A+, priced almost the same as the AA 7.5-8 mm stud).

Thank you in advance for your time and advice.

Attachments

• Pearl Hoop.JPG
    Pearl Hoop.JPG
    12.8 KB · Views: 44
  • Stud with Diamond.JPG
    Stud with Diamond.JPG
    12.4 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
I like the hoops! You are a great Sister! :) You could save money by looking at other reputable online pearl sellers, especially if you are only buying pearls without any visible metal findings.

Thanks, GemGeek! I also like the hoops. Very unique, yet elegant. The pearls are, however, on the smaller size (6.5 mm, grade A+), as was commented on a review.

I was also thinking about other pearl sellers, in which I could get the comparable quality pearls for much less - thanks to the experts in this forum. However, I feel that my sister would appreciate the brand more. I also have not given her many gifts (not such a great sister after all :p), so I figure that this will be that one investment I can at least do (for now).

I think the style makes up for the smaller pearl, don't you? If I were your sister, I would be thrilled to receive the hoops. If name is important to your sister, you might also check out Tiffany pearl earrings. Have fun! :)

I like the pearl with the diamond, myself. If brand name is super important, go for that -- but you are paying for the name. If great value, excellent quality and fantastic customer service are important -- go for one of the vendors GemGeek gave links to above (no, they are not paying me, I am a very satisfied customer).

Every mm size change makes a visible difference.

I don't see how your sister wouldn't be thrilled if you've done your homework and bought what you believe she'd love the most.

If you are willing to spend up to 1K and want diamonds, there's this:

Or this for much less (I have these findings and they are beautiful):

Or this (make sure to use the drop-down for gold):

Or if you want classic studs in the absolute highest quality akoya, how about these:

Keep us posted and enjoy the hunt.

I think the style makes up for the smaller pearl, don't you? If I were your sister, I would be thrilled to receive the hoops. If name is important to your sister, you might also check out Tiffany pearl earrings. Have fun! :)

That is true. I haven't seen such style before. It's just for me, with the price tag, I should go with a safer choice. I don't know. I did look into Tiffany's, but as others said, it does not show the pearl grade on their page. I will inquire more info from them. I am also skeptical that if I have to invest in a pearl jewelry, then it should be Mikimoto and nothing else. I have to try changing my perspective (and attitude :p). If it were my everyday earrings, I would have gone with other sellers. Thanks again!

I like the pearl with the diamond, myself. If brand name is super important, go for that -- but you are paying for the name. If great value, excellent quality and fantastic customer service are important -- go for one of the vendors GemGeek gave links to above (no, they are not paying me, I am a very satisfied customer).

Every mm size change makes a visible difference.

I don't see how your sister wouldn't be thrilled if you've done your homework and bought what you believe she'd love the most.

If you are willing to spend up to 1K and want diamonds, there's this:

http://www.pearlparadise.com/p-3545-elegance-collection-akoya-pearl-and-diamond-earrings.aspx

Or this for much less (I have these findings and they are beautiful):

http://www.pearlparadise.com/p-1948...-akoya-pearl-amp-diamond-dangle-earrings.aspx

Or this (make sure to use the drop-down for gold):

http://www.pearlparadise.com/p-3720-elements-collection-akoya-pearl-and-diamond-stud-earrings.aspx

Or if you want classic studs in the absolute highest quality akoya, how about these:

http://www.pearlparadise.com/p-1109-8460458465-mm-natural-white-hanadama-pearl-earrings.aspx

Keep us posted and enjoy the hunt.

Thank you, BAS. The ones with diamonds are lovely. I am aware of the $$$ added to the brand name, and if it were for myself, I would have gone for the ones you suggested. Right now, I am still leaning toward Mikimoto, just my sister's preference. I will see what others have to say and keep y'all posted.

Last edited:
BAS has a point with the last pair. Hanadama grade is the finest you can buy and it comes with its own fancy lab certificate in a special folder. I have a pair of natural white hanadama earrings and they are outstanding. This would compare with the finest grade sold by Mikimoto and they are not treated, which is even better. :)

Sounds like a fun shopping expedition!

For more detail in size reference, there is this very comprehensive post by Pearl Dreams:

APN,

I say go for the Mikis! Because you know how much your Sis will love Miki's, I'd definitely recommend the 7.5-8 AA Miki studs and I really like the white gold hoops with the smaller pearl. Akoyas are very bright, and will show up in any size! Mikimoto uses 18K gold, also, which accounts for a the higher price. It's a special wedding gift, and she will know you truly want to please her! The higher grade "should" have a more distinct reflection, but unless you can see varying grades side by side to compare, difficult to evaluate.

Make sure your Sis knows to save all the boxes and documents. Perhaps you can place your order over the phone, and if ordering over the web send a note to make sure they know it is an extremely special gift.

I'm not sure if you are ordering from Miki website, but they do have a 15 day return policy.

Please do let us know what you choose!

I am thankful for all your replies. I have already learned so much in so little time. I have just actually become interested in pearls and jewelry (I am a late adopter). It is a perfect timing to explore more into this for my sister's wedding gift :>.

Anne21: Thank you so much! That is one neat research from Pearl Dreams.

Pattye: Thank you for your thoughtful comments and suggestion! It is just hard to decide without seeing the actual ones. I was actually thinking about buying it from Nordstrom. However, I read some threads, and people don't seem to recommend getting it from these big department store retailers. Not sure if they are different (in terms of selections, care, and certification). I initially chatted with Nordstrom after reading a review that the earrings didn't come with Mikimoto box. The customer service had no idea what it would come with in the first place. He got back to me the next day stating that it will come with the verdor's box. That makes me feel like it would be handled more properly if buying from Mikimoto. At least they know what they are doing.

Pearl Dreams: I really appreciate the research (I am a part-time math geek :D) and the link to the photos. I actually saw the photos but since they are one whole size apart, I could not really tell if the half-size difference (7.5-8 mm and 8-8.5 mm) would be substantial. Based on the volume calculation and your explanations, it would. If you were to choose one, what would it be?

I'm with Pattye on this one. If someone wants a brand name then that's your starting point. As the pearls are so very expensive I like the gold hoop as it makes for a bit more substantial look. Both styles are gorgeous ..but keep in mind the measurements of everything ..photos can make things look quite large and that can lead to disappointment when you open the box. If they don't provide the exact measurements then do ask them. Measure some of your own earrings to get an idea of how they compare.

All that aside I think you are buying something very special for her and she will be thrilled. Good for you !

I can vouch for the hoop type being much more comfortable on the phone!! :)

What a lovely gift you are giving to your sister for her wedding! Will they be worn with her gown/dress/outfit for the wedding? If so, I think a diamond setting is super special. Mikis are wonderful pearls, and like any "designer" brand you do pay a premium price. That said, for a very special gift I would tend toward the designer name if she has expressed a desire for it. If the name has no association for her, then I would absolutely try the other vendors listed (I have only shopped at Pearl Paradise...which is wonderful). You are so thoughtful to give your sister a gift so special and unique as a pearl...no two are exactly alike, but they make beautiful pairs. I hope she has a wonderful wedding, and I hope you can find some wonderful pearls to enjoy as well!

My mother has several Mikimoto pieces purchased in Japan and they are very nice pearls and I'm sure your sister will love them and you for such a thoughtful gift. I have PP's natural white Hanadama studs and they are out-of-this-world gorgeous so I can recommend them maybe for you???

Back