Mikimoto or hanadama certified?

Hi Newtopearls,

You are at a point now that it would be smart to call the company or companies you are thinking of buying from and discuss what is available. Whomever you purchase from will want to help you make a purchase that will truly delight you and the recipient, They can also help you choose a flattering "overtone" complimentary to the wearer and explain a bit about how the subtle colors work.

First thing Monday, please plan to pick up the phone and call!! Websites often cannot list everything available.

Buy the way, you could also consider an amazing single pearl pendant(!) of the finest quality, and later build up to the amazing strand you envision!

Best of luck!
Pattye
so many pearls so little time

newtopearls73 said:
are the pearlparadise.com hanadamas available in 16in 7-7.5 or 7.5-8?

The reason 16-inch strands are not available as standard items is because the strands are certified in Japan as temporary 18-inch strands. They can be strung to any length, but the certificates would not match if we did that as standard items.

The issue of Freshadama over Hanadama is a very personal one. However, you can never, in my opinion, go wrong purchasing a Freshadama necklace as a special gift. The shine of the akoyas is great, but the softness and richness of the Freshadamas has completely sold me on freshwater pearls. Their luster is hard to describe. I personally cannot even drive with them on because a bracelet of Freshadama distracts me from the road so that I have to take them off to drive safely. They catch the sunlight and become luminous.
Previously, I believed that akoyas were where it was at. I only did the Freshadama because I wanted a multicolored strand and didn't like anything I had ever seen.
Also, the great thing about Pearl Paradise, is you can send them back if she is not totally in love with them in 90 days. You can always give her Hanadama's for a wedding present...
And, that would give you more time to look at them and see the real thing.
Footnote: Mikimoto got started about 100 years ago with the cultured pearls. Now they are worth a fortune. Pearl Paradise is 10 years old, and there are a couple of other great young companies out there. Once you know what you are looking at, there is a good chance you are getting in on, so to speak, the ground floor, with your purchase. In 50 years, who knows how much it will be worth with proper care?

HI,

I own both high-quality Akoya & fresh water pearls. Each is beautiful in its own way. You could go to big jewelry stores to have a look at highest-quality pearl earrings (or pendant) and compare between Akoya vs FWP. This might tell you the differences between the two types of pearls. However, FWP is more durable than Akoya.

My AAA Akoya (https://www.pearl-guide.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1450) look not different from Miki. I have good experience buying pearls from online venders in this forum.

Good luck!
Tanakarn

Personally, I am dying to get the Freshadama set at Pearl Paradise... for $375 you get a necklace, bracelet, and earrings of the highest quality. I have an akoya necklace and earrings, but I am worried to wear akoya too much for fear of ruining them. Once I own some freshwaters, I'll be able to wear them as frequently as I like without worrying. So.... if you decide against the hanadamas or just if you want to get your girlfriend something she can wear on a regular basis and not ruin, I would get her some Freshadamas. If you still want to get her hanadamas and just something under $100 that she can wear daily, go to pearlparadise.com and look at the selection of freshwater pearl necklaces. You can find better bargains online than anywhere else, 99.99% of the time. If you want to see in person, go to a department store and browse, but buy online! When I started getting into pearls I liked akoyas better just because they were more valuable and I thought that meant something... but the more I started learning about pearls, I realized freshwaters are really your better bet.

Also, as far as necklace length goes... I am 5'1" and my akoyas are 17.5 inches. They're not overwhelming at all, but they are a smaller, graduated necklace (3.5-7mm). Not graduated, or for a more casual look, I would definitely go for 16". Along the same lines, keep in mind that a smaller mm will probably look better. 6 or 7mm will probably look best.

Last edited:
Back