Makers Mark ID?

Mom passed away. Found in closet. Note said Alaskan Black Pearls. Approximately 70 10mm Black Pearls on strand. Hoping someone might recognise the clasp as to who assembled this necklace. First time poster. Thanks!

Attachments

• photo72214.jpg
    photo72214.jpg
    244.5 KB · Views: 43
Hello Heidelberg1956 and welcome to our Pearl Loving forum!
Wow, 70 pearls 10 mm in diameter...that should be long strand of pearls. From the photo, I believe the "pearls" are actually imitation pearls. The clasp seems quite generic!
Have you tried testing the pearls?

Wondering if these might be onyx beads; called "pearls" because of their roundness? Are the beads solid black, or can you see some variation in color? Various semi-precious gemstones are found in Alaska, perhaps these beads are made from some type of agate or jasper.
The clasp is a very basic fish hook type, so unfortunately not helpful in identifying the maker.

When rubbing against my teeth there is a distinct "sandpaper" feel. The "beads" are separated from each other in the event of the strand breaking only one will be rolling off. The drill holes are clean with no obvious chipping. The necklace was cool to the skin when first put on. Thanks for everything from all that responded.

I agree that they do not look like pearls. The attachment to the clasp also seems like something you would not do with pearls. Are they heavy? Stone beads would weigh a lot more than most pearls.

Back