Loose Pearls found with 60 plus year old Seashell collection

MyJayme

Hi everybody!
Here's the background, My Great Aunt, born in 1910 collected seashells, she was so proud and I believe I have 1000 seashells! These have been stored for at least 40 years in boxes, the last 25 those boxes went into plastic totes. While rinsing and sorting to prepare to sell, I found what I believe to be pearls. The ones in the little frame, I hate to take that apart but I will if you tell me it would be better for photographing to sell.

The others, I found a thread on this forum about Pen shell pearls I believe they were called. The gray ones have something inside them. The real big thing, Mom has seen them but isn't sure what it may be so I've included it because it was with the possible pen shell pearls.

My Aunt, who was so much fun, never left the U.S. She did live in Florida for awhile. Most of the labels are missing for the shells but some read Gulf of Mexico and Panama. I truly appreciate any information on them, I have decided to sell them as no one in my family is going to want any of this collection and it's time everything goes to a good home to be appreciated and displayed (I sure don't have space!)

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 36
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 41
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 38
  • 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 33
  • 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 31
  • 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 35
  • 010.jpg
    010.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 30
  • 007.jpg
    007.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 33
  • 008.jpg
    008.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 34
  • 009.jpg
    009.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 29
I think you're right! I have a handful of beans from another box so maybe they where separated but the definitely look like the ones in that link. The gray ones are hard, slippery but something rattles inside. I would need a hammer but I could break one open and find out

LOL! Me too, my first thought was what in the devil are these little burgers! And I thank you for your lighting fast expertise! Now to find out what is in the little frame

I spend a lot of time in Florida and collected many seashells myself and can confirm that all the colorful "pearls" are seeds. As to the clear ones - no idea.

Actually everything was typed on teeny pieces of paper! The problem is from being moved around several times over the last 40 years, labels were lost :-( I have some labels and I'll get them matched up eventually! I'll try the seashell forum, maybe somebody will know what the tiny ones are. She sure did love collecting them, so proud of her shells and buttons! The coolest buttons I've ever seen!! I do appreciate everyone's help!

Hello Cathy, yes, many of them were mother-of-pearl. Her button collection was sold many years ago

I am sure those buttons were lovely. I have one very old button, about the size of a quarter, brilliant iridescent white with rainbows all over, in pinks, teals, blues. The entire button is carved and pierced with beautiful filigree cutouts. Destined to be a necklace one day, with a small pearl in the center. Thanks for sharing your aunt's interesting collection with us.

That sounds beautiful! They sure did take time and creative effort back in the day, I am fascinated by such old items. I was lucky and also had Great Grandparents with a 150+ acre farm that lived to 94 and 96. I spent as much time as I could with my elders, they had the best stories too! I've enjoyed just browsing this forum looking at all the amazing pearls!

Back