Looking to purchase pearls for small business - all types of info much welcome

crumble85

Hello,

(Edit: I just lost my original post so I am going to retype in instalments so please bear with me - also I apologise if this thread is in the wrong area of the forum)

I am in the process of setting up my own jewelry (making) business and would like to include pearls in some of my designs.

I am currently reading as much as I can about pearls and the business side before taking the plunge and making a purchase. However as I am discovering choosing a seller to do business with is prehaps not the most straight forward.

I was going to purchase direct from China as my logic was that they'd have less money added on due to less middlemen though reading advice around the net though I am not ruling out buying from a east Asia/Chinese seller I will also be looking at uk/eu sellers as well as that is where I am located.

I am basically looking to expand my knowledge of pearls in general and also recommendations of sellers/distributors if anyone out there can help - the more the merrier.

You need to decide what you want to buy - high end, low end, very commonplace designs or couture - or loose pearls. Your question is perhaps too broad for an answer so far.
A caveat, unless you know something about jewellery and about pearls it might be better to re-think. It is a well filled market with many knowledgeable sellers. It isn't one where you can expect simply to show up with a few bits and make lots of money. Especially in a global recession.

Welcome Crumble,

It sounds like pearls will not be one of the main materials in your designs? I hope you will tell us more about your vision. In the meantime look at as many pearls in person as you can. The book by Renee Newman, PEARL BUYING Guide is only about $20 and has lots of pics and great info. Wendy, who posted just above might be able to help you.

Might be a Transplanted person...erp, I mean someone who's Relocated.

Back