Looking for any information on this pearl necklace...are they genuine pearls?

DebHill

Hello- sorry the picture isn't that great (I will try to get a better shot of the pearls to add to this post) , this is a beautiful necklace the picture doesnt even begin to do it justice. Are these genuine pearls? If yes what kind do they look like?

Graduated pearl necklace, the total length is about 17" inches, the largest pearl in the middle is 9mm graduating down to the smallest which is 5mm. The clasp is marked Sterling. Thank You!

Attachments

• tahiti20
    tahiti20
    86.6 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
a better pic is a must but in the mean time you can try the tooth test to determine if they're real. To put them to the "tooth test" just gently rub the pearls across your front teeth, if they feel gritty like sand paper they're real, smooth like plastic and they're imitations.

Hi Caitlin et al
Time to put up some sort of general something on the lines of....?

We are happy to give an opinion on your pearls, but we do need at least three clear and accurate photos taken in good lighting with a macro lens and on a plain background such as a white paper towel. We need also a description of the clasp if there is one, plus any markings on the clas, and a separate photo of the clasp. Estimates of the pearl size and how long the item is are also helpful.
Any information you have on where the pearls came from is also helpful.

Or you could design some sort of a form....I'm only suggesting this cos I see the same questions over and over again!

New pictures

New pictures

Hello. I took new pictures of the necklace.

The clasp is marked sterling & the biggest pearl in the middle is 9mm graduating down to the smallest pearls which I believe are 5mm. As you can see length of the necklace (when wearing) hangs at about 8.25" inches

Attachments

• tahiti21
    tahiti21
    63.9 KB · Views: 44
  • tahiti23
    tahiti23
    33.4 KB · Views: 41
  • tahiti25
    tahiti25
    46.7 KB · Views: 45
  • tahiti29
    tahiti29
    55.3 KB · Views: 34
It definitely looks like a strand of cultured akoya pearls. It's difficult to tell from only the photo (freshwater are a lot easier) whether it is real or faux, but the bottom picture shows what appears to be a semi-baroque akoya near the center. If I am seeing that shape correctly, I would venture to say you have a strand of akoya.

I think that "semi baroque" is a trick of the light, the reflection, and one of the dimples in the paper towel. I think that one is round like the rest. TThey have a beautiful lustre. I hope they are real!

I am going to be a wet blanket here. I agree with the comments on photo quality. Try black acetate or mirror. North light. BUT there are dangers if the request is for some legal issue, probate, etc.
Only a GIA cert is valid in court. Or a licensed appraiser in jewelry. If they are natural its worth it. So first take them to a jeweler with credentials for an initial ID then continue from there.
Norm

Back