looking for abalone pearls

slider

I had a necklace made from a abalone pearl I found years ago. now I'm looking for some abalone pearls for earrings to go with it. Ever where I search I only come up with shell jewelry Does any one have any suggestions 20160312_171238.jpg20160312_171618.jpg

Welcome! :)

Whole abalone pearls are extremely rare and costly pearls. You might look at Sea of Cortez pearls or blue akoya pearls, which have more availability.

Also, abalones are hemophiliacs, so you probably won't come across any cultured pearls, except mabe' pearls cultured by attaching implants to the shell. :)

Very pretty setting that shows off the beauty of your pearl. How did you find it? I used to scuba dive and we'd get abalone but never encountered a pearl.

That is a really pretty abalone pearl! The shape is especially gorgeous. Very round, slightly oval shape. Which is incredibly rare in an abalone pearl. I would love to know where you found it?

Last edited:
That is a really pretty abalone pearl! The shape is especially gorgeous. Vary round, slightly oval shape. Which is incredibly rare in an abalone pearl. I would love to know where you found it?

What Jacques said, on all points.

You might try Eyris Pearls. They're a New Zealand farm that produces abalone pearls.

I found the peal in the stomach of a 10.5 inch red abalone in fort Bragg ca 15 years ago. I did not know that round abalone peals are so rare until I went to have it set last year. It measures 10.75mm x11.45mm the jeweler made a awesome setting for it.

Last edited:
Good thing you didn't cook it first and then find it. That is an amazing and rare pearl.

What size should the earrings be ? we have lots of matched small pairs most are smaller then 6 mm, there are some members of pg that have them, think ive seen them with kojima and pearl paradise had the monili collection with flowers and natural abalone

Have some on the bench for the last few weeks trying to figure out if i should put prongs around to set the pearl and need to set the pave diamonds around but they come by every few months

_MG_5026a.jpg

Last edited:
Back