Latest finished statement piece

jesskat

IMG_3830.jpg

Did this for a friend of mine. Three Tahitian pearls - the bottom dangle from Wen and the two on either side of the large moonstone from KahaiaTahiti on Etsy - as well as labradorite, carved mother-of-pearl and bone, hematite and black spinel on argentium silver. She needed a statement piece for a role she's starting soon :)

I'm super happy with how it turned out. I owe the ladies here a HUGE amount of thanks for recommending the .5mm round-nose pliers that made for amazing wire wrapping for smaller beads!

Wowza! That looks amazing. I'm in awe of the tiny wire wrapping.

Very cool piece! I love the variety of different gems used. What gauge wire did you use? And did you use wire to connect the labradolite? I have some spinel from about three years ago that I'm trying to decide whether to use wire or thread.

Beautifully done, jesskat! I'm not sure I have the patience to try something like that right now - I applaud you!

Very cool piece! I love the variety of different gems used. What gauge wire did you use? And did you use wire to connect the labradolite? I have some spinel from about three years ago that I'm trying to decide whether to use wire or thread.

I actually did a bit of a trick for the labradorite strands. I used 49-strand Beadalon .13" beading wire for those, and then hid the loops at the end with silver beads that I could tuck the wire into, and used jump rings to connect it to the chain at either end. :) Mad it WAY easier than doing wire for them!

The wire I used for wrapping was 22g for the pearls and larger gems, and 24g for the 2mm beads. The Lindstrom .5mm round-nose pliers that were recommended in another thread (I gotta find it) are to die for - they make the best little wire wraps! Will never use anything else for that from now on.

Thank you so much, PD, BWeaves, la_corsetiere, pattye, GemGeek, Sunseeker, and lary007! It really means a lot to me to have the feedback from seasoned makers here <3 I'm still feeling my way around some of this, but the friend I made it for absolutely adores it, and that's the most important thing!

pattye, I think I spent maybe ~8-10 hours all told on it once I had all the materials? I did it in fits and starts over 3 days so I wasn't keeping too much track, but it definitely was somewhat involved. I haven't done such tiny wire wrap before, so it had a scoch of a learning curve, but I picked it up fairly quickly and those pliers are a Godsend. I originally just had the 3 main chains with the statement pendants, but it felt like something was missing, and the labradorite did the trick - it helped visually separate all the bright whites/silvers by giving the eye a softer rest in between. I wish that I'd shot the necklace on something other than black - the pearls have such a magnificent green overtone that just glows in certain lights. It goes super well with the dress my friend has for her role, too - she sent me a pic of her first night wearing it the other day, and I'm so excited about how well it fits!

I really enjoy doing this, and I'm super happy to be able to have the wonderful forum members here as a resource. I've already learned a ton!

How did I miss this? This is so, so gorgeous! Beautiful work, jesskat!

Thanks so much, battah! I really loved working on it. I've got a Tahitian/aquamarine tin cup on deck, looking forward to using what I've learned with this one to make that one :)

Jesscat,

Thanks so much for explaining your design process! I have only done 2 or 3 multi strand necklaces and bracelets in all these years of stringing, none with that many strands. I'm thinking of doing a torsade of 12+ strands, however, a different animal entirely, probably much easier! Every week I learn more here on the "Lowly Beaders Club". Although I already use and love the Lindstrom RX tools, I ordered the 0.50 mm round nose pliers. They are just a bit smaller than the others I have, many thanks (whoever you are) for that suggestion!!

I found the original posts - they're in the GSS Strand thread from a few weeks back - Pearl Dreams initially mentioned that they were on Rio, and JerseyPearl gave them a big thumbs up. So thanks, ladies, for your recommendation!!

and 12+ strands, whew! I don't know if I'll ever have the gumption for something like that :D But then again, a few years back, I made a costume top that was entirely made of wire-wrapped moonstones and scalemaille/chainmaille... so I can get pretty crazy ;)

Beautiful necklace.
Do you know the ref. Number of the Lindstrom pliers? I have seen three different round nose from them when I googled .5mm.
Thanks

Back