Largest Size of Blue Akoya Pearls

CricketBug

I completely adore blue Akoya pearls and am curious to know the largest size range these are available. I've seen anything from weensy little ones to 10–10.5mm size. I'm curious whether the 10–10.5mm ones are genuine or simply freshwater pearls that have been dyed/colored.

Akoya pearls max out at around 10mm. The 10-10.5mm blue ones might be akoyas...I haven't seen fwp dyed to look like them. I'd be interested to see a photo.

The samples of freshwater pearls that I have seen that have been dyed to mimic silvery-blue Akoyas fail to capture the subtleties. The dyed pearls either look baby blue, or gray, without any of the hints of pink.

Sometimes Akoyas are dyed to look silvery-blue, and they also come out with flat tones. The ones I have seen, anyway.

My blue akoyas range from 5 mm to 10 mm. All akoya pearls max out at 10 mm in size.

I have dyed blue freshwaters that look nothing like my blue akoyas.

Thanks for the quick responses, everyone!

Akoya pearls max out at around 10mm. The 10-10.5mm blue ones might be akoyas...I haven't seen fwp dyed to look like them. I'd be interested to see a photo.

I have a photo I saved from somewhere online, although I might not be able to find the site again. This strand was supposedly 10–10.5mm which quite interested me. It was from an auction site, if I recall correctly.

akoya_online.jpg

I'm so used to wearing 11-12mm pearls that I can't quite imagine wearing "little" ones of 8-9mm. LOL!

I've seen them up to 11mm, very rare though.

I've certainly had Blue ones from Vietnam that were 10-10.5 .. I'll measure the earring pairs and see how big they are . I have a feeling they are all 10-10.5 but it's been awhile since I looked at them. I too have seen some earring ones up to 11 . But not a strand.

Katbran, I’d love to see photos of your large blue Akoyas! Thanks for your comments.

Katbran, I’d love to see photos of your large blue Akoyas! Thanks for your comments.

Took me a little time to find the card with all the pairs... these are 10.7 and a silver blue - bit more blue with soft indirect lighting. I had another dozen pair of darker blue that went to jewelers overseas . But these are definitely on the larger end of the Akoya. The photo you posted , those are beautiful blues. And it's certainly not impossible to get larger strands, the smaller ones are more readily found.

Masik - I remember him posting that one... quite a remarkable size.
fullsizeoutput_1839.jpg

Took me a little time to find the card with all the pairs... these are 10.7 and a silver blue - bit more blue with soft indirect lighting. I had another dozen pair of darker blue that went to jewelers overseas . But these are definitely on the larger end of the Akoya. The photo you posted , those are beautiful blues. And it's certainly not impossible to get larger strands, the smaller ones are more readily found.

@Katbran, these two are gorgeous, too! What will you do with them? Hearing that you had 24 other similar pearls but darker blue (drool!) instantly made me think of them in a strand.

Thank you, Ladies!

Here are another big blues, not rounds of course, but the sizes are from 9.5 to 11.5, wonderful luster and thick nacre.
IMG_20181016_160737.jpg

IMG_20181016_160743.jpg

@ Masik. The strand is gorgeous! Thanks for the photo! Are the pearls blue-blue or silvery blue?

Back