Largest Size of Blue Akoya Pearls

A "mystery" style clasp. Very cool.

yes. They look cool, but my grievance with them is restringing... right now I am looking at a gorgeous cherry T, that I cannot re-string until I find a way to free the last pearl from a male part of the clasp, ugh!

@Katbran, these two are gorgeous, too! What will you do with them? Hearing that you had 24 other similar pearls but darker blue (drool!) instantly made me think of them in a strand.

Thank you , they would have made a lovely necklace but it would have been quite expensive. And easier to sell pairs that a single very expensive strand when the blue akoya strands I buy cost a lot less.

Masik - What a gorgeous strand !!! And I totally understand about the mystery clasp ! I don't mind them if you can drop the necklace over your head so there is no wear and tear on the thread but in general I avoid them as getting that finding out can be impossible. You have nothing to grip on to.. let me know if you figure out a technique lol

Magnificent pearls Masik. You have an extraordinary collection of pearls!

Thank you , they would have made a lovely necklace but it would have been quite expensive. And easier to sell pairs that a single very expensive strand when the blue akoya strands I buy cost a lot less.

Masik - What a gorgeous strand !!! And I totally understand about the mystery clasp ! I don't mind them if you can drop the necklace over your head so there is no wear and tear on the thread but in general I avoid them as getting that finding out can be impossible. You have nothing to grip on to.. let me know if you figure out a technique lol

Thank you, Katbran!
Yeah, it is cumbersome. I used hot water and Attack (the epoxy solvent), none worked so far.

47111188_2237815823147719_6671254026635444224_n.jpg

I redid the strand without it (for now), but would really like to "complete it"... ugh!
IMG_20181207_145527.jpg

Oh... I'm drooling over these beautiful pearls! Such an amazing blue strand! Those Ts are pretty swell too! Have you tried acetone to remove the end?

I have found that if I start with almost boiling water and let it sit... then a bath in Acetone .... then the hot water .. then Acetone and then try to gently push or pull ( whichever works ) then repeat. I've dropped the piece , completely immersed, in hot water and microwaved it for 20 sec.... then acetone... the push and or pull. At time I've had to do this process 4 times just to get the pearl cup off. But I've never had one that didn't release.

Obviously this is all a pretty 'last ditch' effort lol If you can just get the tiniest bit of movement after two rounds ... you should be good eventually.

Oh... I'm drooling over these beautiful pearls! Such an amazing blue strand! Those Ts are pretty swell too! Have you tried acetone to remove the end?

I have found that if I start with almost boiling water and let it sit... then a bath in Acetone .... then the hot water .. then Acetone and then try to gently push or pull ( whichever works ) then repeat. I've dropped the piece , completely immersed, in hot water and microwaved it for 20 sec.... then acetone... the push and or pull. At time I've had to do this process 4 times just to get the pearl cup off. But I've never had one that didn't release.

Obviously this is all a pretty 'last ditch' effort lol If you can just get the tiniest bit of movement after two rounds ... you should be good eventually.

Thank you, Ladies!
Sounds pretty complicated :) :) :)
I wil try tomorrow and tell you the results.

My apology for highjacking the thread, CricketBug!

Thank you, Ladies!
Sounds pretty complicated :) :) :)
I wil try tomorrow and tell you the results.

My apology for highjacking the thread, CricketBug!

No worries, Masik! I love learning new things, and while I've tried my hand at stringing pearls with varied results, I only used "traditional" clasps. So, learning that pearls can withstand acetone is interesting! :eek:

Oh, the baroque blue akoyas are wonderful size, and the way the nacre looks dripped all over is what I especially like! Good luck with that tricky clasp. I haven't used that style for the very reasons the others mention.

Fun to see some of the larger sizes, CricketBug!

Oh, the baroque blue akoyas are wonderful size, and the way the nacre looks dripped all over is what I especially like! Good luck with that tricky clasp. I haven't used that style for the very reasons the others mention.

Fun to see some of the larger sizes, CricketBug!

I agree! I love seeing the gorgeous pearls that others have collected.

My two nieces visited Australia and were in Broome. They were right by a Paspalay storefront... and didn't have much interest! Can't believe they're related to me! LOL! Later after returning home, there were regrets about not going in, and regrets about not purchasing at least "a" small pearl. LOL! They're both pearl-nuts, now. Live n' learn...

Cricketbug, Well, sometimes we feel a bit intimidated about going into the fancy stores, but we need to be confident and check them out! Glad to hear the gals are pearl-nuts now! Paspaley, drool!! Seems like some of the high end jewelry are doing some simpler pearls that are budget friendy, too.

Cricketbug, Well, sometimes we feel a bit intimidated about going into the fancy stores, but we need to be confident and check them out! Glad to hear the gals are pearl-nuts now! Paspaley, drool!! Seems like some of the high end jewelry are doing some simpler pearls that are budget friendy, too.

Oh, they were fine about going into spendy stores, it's just that they weren't particularly interested in pearls. :confused: It's quite amusing now—pearls are a source of fascination. LOL!

Back