Knotty Panda Pieces

knotty panda

Pearl Knotting & Wire Expert
This is my first named piece. It's called Hunka-hunka-burning Rock. The pearls are sweet little peanut pearls all misshapen with flat sides on some of them but they have such personality and character they are hard to deny. The focal is a palm-sized carved and painted bead made from Mt. St. Helen's volcanic rock, or so I was told when I purchased it. It didn't make a difference, it was so compelling, I had to have it.

Attachments

• hunkahunkaburningrock_0001.jpg
    hunkahunkaburningrock_0001.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 41
Caitlin: You'll like this. See this little design in the middle of the strand? It's my version of a crimp cover. Why do I crimp in the middle of the strand? It acts like a knot should the strand break! I've never had that happen, but just in case, I am prepared! I use a 4MM silver bead, apply a crimp, then I have a rosette chain maille design I slip over the crimp and then bead another 4MM silver bead. I use this design at the clasp for beaded pieces as well.

Attachments

• crimps.jpg
    crimps.jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 51
Nice design. I like the idea of the lava rock with the pearls. Mixing the elements.

How do you make the black outline on the pearls?

Raisondetre: Beats me! I used a scanner. Nothing I did, I assure you.

Yes, they are very metallic.

knotty panda said:
Yes, they are very metallic.

Knotty,

the nacklace is lovely and the colours together with the "Big One" are great!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Knotty P,

What a fun and dramatic piece! There is also a man-made "gemstone" of Mt. St. Helens ash, called "helenite." I have seen it in a rich green color. The ash, as I recall, is primarily silica (glass) so is pretty versatile. I have a blown glass ornament using the ash!! Your piece is much, much prettier!!

Pattye
so many pearls, so little time

Knotty P - great necklace! The focal bead in particular is fabulous - I love the color. How long is the necklace? If the pendant is palm sized, I am guessing that the peanut pearls are pretty sizable themselves. It must be very dramatic on!

Dear Knotty,
Where did you get those beautiful pearls from? Are these the monthly special from PearlParadise?The pearls look very creamy in your pic. Is that their true color? I like golden color pearls and those look like they are in that range of color. By the way, I used to live in Portland,Oregon. I wish I had seen something like your Mt. St. Helen's piece. It is captivating.

Last edited:
Hi Knotty,

So glad to see your picture. I had ordered a couple of those strands myself for my mom and mil, so I am glad to see they look so lovely.:D

Hi again,

Knotty, quick question, are those the AA+ or the AAA. Just curious. I ordered the AAA's because the price felt like such a steal. Thanks Jeremy!

Ingykiz: Those are Jeremy's Mother's Day Special. They are so very white that I plan to use them as my "white" sample when I go comparison shopping. My camera, unfortunately, isn't working so well for me in posting.

Salem: I got the AAs and I am pleased as punch over them. You are totally going to LOVE your AAAs! My knotting table is ever so slightly off balance. When I was knotting them, those little babies were rolling through the tracks on my bead board like little race cars! Potato-shapes don't roll!

All y'all: Well, I'm stressing out over this camera thing so I've decided to post only one more piece. But, there's a surprise. It's a piece of jewelry that no one has posted on the forum, at least that I've seen. So, did I whet your appetite?

We're all waiting so you better post fast :D
When you take a picture don't be afraid to go in closer.
Set your camera in close-up mode wich on most point and shoot camera's is an icon of a little flower. Turn the camera on it's side and try and fill the whole frame with your pearls so that there is no empty space on either side. I added a line to your pic to try and show what I mean. No need to get stressed about it it's digital so you can take as many as you want.

Attachments

• test.jpg
    test.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 49
Hi Knotty,

Wow, if those were the AA's, I can't wait to see the AAA's. But *sigh* I will only get a brief peek. I did order them as Mother's Day gifts. My mom was totally delighted with hers and my mil's is on the way. I had both sent to my mom's house in the States so I wouldn't have to worry about customs, but*sigh again*, she is very forgetful about sending things out. I think once they are in my hands they will be hard to hand over. :( But at least I know my mil will love them.

I'm trying this again. *S*

Attachments

• try again.JPG
    try again.JPG
    35.6 KB · Views: 49
Back