knotting question

SunSeeker

I hope it's ok to ask technical questions on this forum. I want to know if when combining gold, silver, or other gemstones with knotted pearl necklaces, do you still knot between each component? Or do you skip over the non-pearl items? And if you do knot, do the knots slip inside the other beads or gems?

Thanks,
Kathleen

Hi Kathleen,
Those are really good questions. With so may variables, there are many solutions. Generally speaking, metal beads have larger holes than pearls. Lapis, malachite, turquoise, jasper, agate and other "stone" beads as well as gemstone beads manufactured in China tend to have larger holes.
Gemstone beads created in India tend to have holes smaller than those in pearls.
The challenge is both a design and an is it doable question. So, the solution becomes unique to each designer and each piece!
Hope that makes sense.

Hi Marianne, yes that makes a lot of sense! I would think that smaller holes (as you said from gemstone beads made in Indai) would be preferred. But I guess it's really an individual design decision. I did notice that my 3mm silver beads have fairly large holes for being so tiny! That's why I wondered if I should knot under them! Thanks! Kathe

Great advice. I agree that each material has its own challenges and solutions. Testing different approaches is not a waste of time, because each time you learn more about the materials and can better gauge what to do with new ones. And, of course, we would love to see what you come up with! :)

Back