Kevlar Thread

mausketeer

Hi guys! Just curious if anyone has ever tried using Kevlar thread (was looking at that artificial sinew and saw that they sold Kelvar as well. It only comes in natural coloured thread but they had a black "yarn" too. Hey, magicians use it for some of their tricks!)

- Jodie -

I do believe PowerPro is spun kevlar. Someone previously reported here that unspun kevlar thread was used for kites, except it cut itself.
This is a research gambit, not a total statement of fact. I think kevlar thread, per se is useful in some applications where you need strength but it won't come in contact with itself, such as in a knot. Research it a bit- and let us know.

I wonder if you were wearing a strand of pearls strung with Kevlar and you were shot with a gun whether they would STOP IT? lol

Kite string? Interesting. Man, that would be DANGEROUS I would think - can you imagine a kid trying to stop it from getting away and the string running through your hand? (I've done it!!! OUCH! We used to fly kites in our 20's - a fun, weird little hobby for a few years on the beach) Kevlar could probably cut through your fingers!!!!!

- Jodie -

......found some neat thread....... metallic!.......

http://www.7beads.com/threadshop.htm

...........still researching.......

black Kevlar thread....... hmmmm....... came to realize that um, if it would cut through your hand, it would probably not be very good for pearls in the long run, right?

http://www.cosplaysupplies.com/store.php?p=MJ-74422015-00

ahhhh, just read this on a beading website....... I guess that's that for Kevlar!

Kevlar is strong and durable, and often used in seed beads when weight is a consideration. It is very thin, but only comes in a few colors. It is the thread used to make bullet-proof vests. It is not recommend it for use in beaded jewelry because the thread tends to breakdown when exposed to skin and it does not knot well either. Beaders tend to use this thread mainly for bead appliqu? that does not involve direct skin contact, such as an appliqu? on a purse. It is also often used for tapestries but said tapestries should not be hung in direct sunlight.

And yes, they use Kevlar for kites! Cool! Check it out:

DACRON: Kite Studio stocks high quality, braided Dacron in several weights, colors, and lengths. Dacron is the best choice for bridles and single line kites. 40 - 50 percent off... everyday!
BLACK DEATH: sure to check our "Black Death" if you are planning a Rokkaku Battle any time soon!
SPECTRA: Kite Studio stocks high quality, braided Spectra in several weights. Spectra is the superior line for flying stunt kites - slick, light, thin, and low stretch. The prices on our bulk spools of 1000 feet are the best you'll find.
HEAVY DUTY DACRON: This is our "heavy duty" line for single line kites. 400 - 1,100 pound breaking strengths, this line is a solid braid polyester in 1/8", 3/16" and 1/4" diameters.
KEVLAR: Available upon request. This line will cut all others and not often welcome on the kite field.

BLACK DEATH!. Oooh! Who knew kite flying was so scary?

Oh, and the dacron is gorgeous. Lots of beautiful colours. Not sure if it's too thick for beading? http://www.kitebuilder.com/inventory/solidcore.htm

- Jodie -

Last edited:
LAST ONE!

Okay, Power Pro is made with "Spectra fibre" (or fiber if you're American - ;) Spectra fiber is made by Honeywell. It is made from polyethylene (plastic) but it is spun (like spiders do!) and is 40% stronger than aramid fibre (oh, okay -lol). And yes, it is used to make "military balistic-resistant" vests. So I think it's just a different brand name than Kevlar thread even though it's the exact same product.

END OF REPORT.

Beautiful! Thank you. That adds to our collective knowledge very nicely! I do think power pro gives off a bit of pearl powder on fw over time, but it would take a very long time to enlarge the holes appreciably. Chalky pearls will give off powder on silk, so that is not a consumer tested statement, just a mention of an observation. I have no idea what the implications of that really are. In FW pearls. I don't imagine MoP beads as in saltwater pearls would chalk as easily, if ever.

Caitlin, didn't Knotty use kite thread for stringing? I can't remember...

Jodie, thankyou for bringing this up!

Yeah, no problem. I was just looking for something to string on that wasn't all "plastic-ey" (when I saw that Power Pro was fishing line, I assumed it was like the OLD monofilament fishing line I used to use when I went fishing. I haven't been fishing for a looooooong time however! I didn't realize it was actually braided cord though, so I assume it has "drape"?)

I have some different guages of wire I used for making glass bead necklaces but I just can't stand how the finished necklaces looked - perfect ovals that don't really move. I like the drape you get with silk so was looking for something that would be similiar, but a bit more durable (I ALWAYS have a necklace on of some sort. And yes, I tend to wear them in the shower - I ALWAYS forget to take them off! Even my Tahitians!! Although so far I have managed to remember before I wash my hair thankfully!)

- Jodie -

(ps: found some .50mm hemp cord that is soft, like thread. They call it "jewelers hemp". Comes in natural and white. Might be good for pearls? Anyone used it? Saw some on Etsy - http://www.etsy.com/listing/58911355/thin-hemp-twine-white-05mm-325ft10lb

Hi Jodie,
Power Pro is great for glass/heavy beads. It is strong and drapes nicely too. Just bring out the bandaids if you are doing many knots as it is hard on the fingers :)

Hi Jodie,
Power Pro is great for glass/heavy beads. It is strong and drapes nicely too. Just bring out the bandaids if you are doing many knots as it is hard on the fingers :)

Cool, I'll have to get some. I have some vintage Czech rainbow glass beads that I broke and have to restring. Didn't want to have to do them on wire but thread would have been way too thin......

- Jodie -
Czech rainbow necklace2.jpgCzech rainbow necklace.jpg

LOL! My first bead creations were strung on monofiliment fishing line! Back in the Haight Ashbury. I still have my original bead box from 1966. I used to carry it around and make love beads.

Oh my god Caitlin - I HAVE to come to one of these pearl "ruckus's" and meet you! That's TOO cool (I recently bought some "new old stock" agate "beggar beads" from India for my mother in law. She loved them. Found out these were some of the "love beads" that used to go around. I'd never heard that term before......)

When I was a teen I used to think I was born in the wrong decade - I was SURE I was supposed to be a real hippie in San Francisco! Born ten years too late!

- Jodie -

Back