Just wondering if anyone knows what kind ..

Jay12

I was given these from my grandma when I was younger. They werent inherit or anything just a gift. I’m now in my early 20s so I’ve definitely had these for over 12 yrs .Not sure if they’re real or not, and I’ve never worn them but every time I try them on they’re cold ,and they have this pretty iridescence to them that I’m not sure was picked up on camera. But if anyone can tell me some info on these just from the pictures , that’d be appreciated :)
P.s I added new photos, since I’ve found they photograph better on a white background.

82A41387-E59C-41E4-BEF8-8FA5E95D8E6D.jpg

9B72A9A5-B1A8-45A8-95B7-8A22D9A9FC51.jpg

FFE857D5-F2CF-42A9-88D2-E2201D9A8A49.jpg

BECD77FD-8D47-47AE-AB16-2DD8221B2CE5.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Jay12, and welcome to Pearl Guide.

Looks like your grandmother gave you a pretty necklace of cultured freshwater pearls from China. These would be solid nacre, no bead inside, so quite durable.

Now...why do you not wear them? Do you not like them as a springy necklace strung on wire?

If that's it, it would be very easy for you to string them with a clasp. All you would need would be thread (doesn't have to be silk; synthetic threads are easier to work with), a fine flexible wire needle (available at craft stores like Michaels), and a clasp (also at Michaels). You would not need to knot between each pearl-- just between a few pearls on each end near the clasp. We can point to in the right direction if you like; many of us string our own pearls and we have tutorials here.

I agree with the others too. You can update your lovely pearls with your own style if you want. But it's nice to always have that sentimental gift from your grandmother.

Hi Jay12, and welcome to Pearl Guide.

Looks like your grandmother gave you a pretty necklace of cultured freshwater pearls from China. These would be solid nacre, no bead inside, so quite durable.

Now...why do you not wear them? Do you not like them as a springy necklace strung on wire?

If that's it, it would be very easy for you to string them with a clasp. All you would need would be thread (doesn't have to be silk; synthetic threads are easier to work with), a fine flexible wire needle (available at craft stores like Michaels), and a clasp (also at Michaels). You would not need to knot between each pearl-- just between a few pearls on each end near the clasp. We can point to in the right direction if you like; many of us string our own pearls and we have tutorials here.

Thanks for the reply! I know nothing about pearls so it’s nice to get a little insight. I also don’t wear them because jewelery isn’t really my thing. They’re beautiful, but I haven’t really found the occasion to wear them. The clasp thing is good idea though. I’ll have to look into that :)

You could also make a Christmas tree decoration with them, if not interested in wearing them! :p

Back