John Tu's Pearls

Oops, sorry I jumped in there. I thought you were done and I got so excited. Wow, those fireballs are enormous! ;)

Hi Blaire,

John said you might have seen some of these briefly at Tucson-------

Most of my purchases were basics--ovals, keshi, but saw these huge pendant pearls, pics 2 & 3 (the large one is 2 inches long!) and I just had to have a couple----also some predrilled large drops with circles.

IMGP2401_resize.jpg

I retook these of the large keshi in the light box--

IMGP2404_resize.jpg

IMGP2405_resize.jpg

That's it for now!

Last edited:
Very fun! Wish he would show at Intergem.

Thanks so much Pattye. I particularly like the CFW keishi that looks like a manta ray.:cool:

Did you get any of those amazing drops?

barbie

That doubled over one is the sort of pearl you stare at for months thinking 'I have to think of something special for that pearl...'

That doubled over one is the sort of pearl you stare at for months thinking 'I have to think of something special for that pearl...'

It reminded me of the semi bird and dragon-like animal that the main characters rode in the movie Avatar. Unique!!!

John Tu

John Tu

Hey!
Love your post about John Tu and his amazing collection of pearls. It is so hard to find high quality pearls in my area. However, there is a gem show this weekend (The International Gem and Jewelry show) in Rosemont, IL. I think I read in one of your posts that he is sometimes a vendor at their shows. Do you know if he'll be at this one? Or do you know of any other vendors who sell amazing pearls like his at a price you cannot say no to? I'm trying to decide if it is worth it to go to this years show and if there are some jewelry vendors I should also know about.

-Little Gem

Hi LittleGem,

Welcome!

Alas, John Tu only does some of the west coast shows. But there should be some good pearl vendors at your show, it is worth a look, I would think. The price they sell for depends on how good a price they bought their goods for in China, and that can vary from harvest to harvest. (There are two harvests per year, I recall.)

It should be a great chance to look at lots of pearls of all qualities and prices, find new shapes, etc.

Do you already have lots of experience with pearls?

I agree with Pattye, you should find lots of pearls at that show -- just not my favorite vendor! ;) Before I saw Pearl Professor, John told me that small pearls were in a shortage, so scoop some up if that's what you want.

Thanks so much Pattye and GemGeek!! I appreciate your advice and will try and make it up to the Gem Show this weekend. Too bad John will not be there, what a bummer. Your photos of his pearls were breathtaking. I would have been in heaven if I had been there!!! Maybe someday I will be lucky enough to buy from him. In the mean time, if you guys say there should be a good collection I trust your word!!! Thanks again for your fast response, right in time to begin planning my beading weekend!!

-Erica

John Tu's Pearls, July 2012

John Tu's Pearls, July 2012

Thanks so much, Blaire! I'd have been looking for this thread forever! Shocking how long it has been since anyone posted photos. Here's some of my latest loot!

IMGP4619.jpgIMGP4620.jpg

There is a "relationship" between the small dyed pearls on the left and the Chinese Kasumi-like pearls on the right. See if you can guess what it is?

Hint: It's something John told us, but this hint probably won't help much!

He did also say there is still a shortage of smaller pearls.

Last edited:
Back