It's not just eBay...

A lot of people who don't know better (and undoubtedly some who do know better) erroneously use "natural" to mean not imitation, instead of not cultured.

This seller says they have a brick and mortar store. "We are certified appraisers for all fine jewelry. Our certified appraisals are accepted by all insurance companies. We have been writing appraisals for the FBI and DEA for over 35 years."
Several of their other pearl listings are also, um… not as advertised .

A lot of those "estate" bracelets look strangely similar, with identical clasps, too...

Well...a lot of vendors appraise and value their own stock... just saying. The value of the appraisal is entirely dependent on the integrity and knowledge of the vendor.

"We are certified appraisers for all fine jewelry." <--- Doesn't that scare you? People who consider themselves "professionals" in their field and not having a clue what a real Tahitian pearl necklace looks like, or a natural pearl vs a cultured pearl. These people are probably the ones looking at the cheap pearl party pearl and saying it is worth hundreds. I wish I could sell them some stuff... I have water front property in Arizona.

It's obvious that these are dyed freshwater pearls. And they don't even look nice. I just hope, no one buys it.

How can they justify that price tag for those freshwater pearls?.
I hope no one buys them thinking they are genuine Tahitians.
You would hope if someone was going to drop that amount of money, they would do their research first
Fingers crossed

There is no way they can justify their price tag. It is fraudulent advertising. They also have a double strand of heavily ringed white freshwaters ($20 value at most) on a 14K clasp and are asking more than $1,200. They are advertised as "vintage". Does 10, possibly 18 years make an item vintage?

I dunno...with Etsy I feel like it was once the home of the "Little Guy and Gal" and was truly a special place but more and more...you are competing with those that will post listings like this pumping out "Vintage" items like a swap-meet thrifter on crack.

This also seems to be a very bad habit of this seller: Saltwater Pearls

Last edited:
Following up. I checked the original "questionable" listing this evening and low and behold it has been changed to "Lovely 11mm Black Freshwater Pearl Necklace' I sent this e-mail to the shop owner:
www.etsy.com/listing/254829268/lovely-11mm-black-freshwater-pearl
Hi Ed. I was pleased to notice that you have finally corrected the title on this listing from Tahitian to Freshwater pearls. You might also want to change this in the description and add to this information that the pearls are dyed. Do you honestly believe they are worth $1,595.00 ?

Back